Home > Trip Reports > July 16-17, 2012, Silver Peak, 2 min walk to snow!

July 16-17, 2012, Silver Peak, 2 min walk to snow!

7/16/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by The Snow Troopers on 7/21/12 6:07am
video @ http://thesnowtroopers.com/2012/silver-peak-wa-see-ya-next-season/

This past July 16th and 17th, I took Trooper dog for a couple evening walks up to the Stompin€™ Grounds (Silver Peak). Still a lot of snow, starting to skin only 200 yards from the awd Dodge mini Caravan.

Being so late in the Summer the climbing and skiing is quite the challenge, so if you are coming from the city, I would recommend heading to Rainier or Baker for the late season high corn harvest. Both nights I headed up towards the NE bowl, boot packing up the final pitch at the waterfall (which is just below the bowl). Once in the bowl the snow is still solid and deep, however, the Cirque is mostly toast.

We did get one mellow ski off of the Cirque down into the NW bowl€™s flats that was fun and not too sun cupped. The NE bowl had the longest ski that connected all the way to the flat bench €œBIG Trees€ zone (located just above the ponds and just before the rock shelter). Shouldered the skis though €œBIG Trees€ and clicked back in on the other side of the of the timber for the final coast down to the rig.

That was my last walk with the skis up to Silver Peak for this season€¦ Ski ya next season!
Awesome Tim.  If anyone can find summer lines at Silver, you are that man.  Thanks for sharing your local knowledge and enthusiasm.

Nice job getting to it on Silver. I drove up a few days ago to check it out and it looked toast from the road.

Silas: nice running into you on Rainier yesterday, It was a great ski from the anvil. We never found your cheesecake though.

Reply to this TR

july-16-17-2012-silver-peak-2-min-walk-to-snow
The Snow Troopers
2012-07-21 13:07:11