Home > Trip Reports > July 14/15, 2012, Middle Sister, SE Ridge

July 14/15, 2012, Middle Sister, SE Ridge

7/15/12
OR elsewhere
Posted by azimmerman85 on 7/20/12 12:04am
First off, I'd like to thank all of those who have provided such awesome reports for as long as they have been.  I've sat back and read for almost a year now, but figured it was time to start contributing! 

Myself and a few friends just did Middle Sister last weekend and the snow was awesome!  We started out Saturday morning around 9am and headed for Camp Lake.  After reaching camp a few of us took a quick 30-45 minute hike above camp and rode all the way back.  The corn was in great shape for being so late in the afternoon. 

Sunday morning we started for the summit late, around 830-9, as it was howling wind and completely socked in by fog/clouds until about 8am leaving us wondering if we were even going to go.  We made it to the top just before 1.  The only other people we saw the entire time were ironically on top right at the same time we were (they had come up the Renfrew side).  The decent was awesome, the first 1500-2000 vertical was consistently steep and the snow was as good as it gets for July.  Below that we had some traversing across some serious sun cups and rock fields followed by our final 3-400 vert run to camp. 

The hike back to the car after summiting was much quicker than the previous days approach.  We got back to the car around 630pm and headed straight for the brewery just outside Sisters (can't remember the name).  A big meal and beer later, we were on the road for Portland making it home around 11:30 at night.  All in all it was a great trip and I'm already itching to get out for another trip.

Thanks again to all those who post these reports all the time!

a shot from camp looking towards South Sister -

Our crew from left to right (Andrea, John, Laura (girlfiend), me, and Ryne way down below)

Followed by three from the hike/climb up looking towards South Sister and the last looking up the SE Ridge's main snowfield.
Thanks for the report--looks like a good time.  Could you ski from the actual summit?

nice first report.  Pretty area.  I've never been there, but your photos make me want to visit.

You couldn't quite ski from the summit down the SE ridge, but from about 200 vertical below it was no problem.  If you went straight off the summit into the East bowl the slope was definitely over 50-55 degrees with plenty of very large cliffs to navigate...It looked like there could have been a chute or two that would have been doable, but given the conditions and not knowing the lines, I'd vote against going down that way.

Thanks for the great report, I have been sitting in Redmond OR for the last few weeks looking up at all the great skiing to be had on the Three Sisters, and no time to do it. The report  might be just the motivation I need to make the trip!

Brewery = Three Creeks Brewing Co.
www.threecreeksbrewing.com

Beautiful! Thanks for posting.

dbe- indeed, it was 3 creeks!  Couldn't have had a better place to stop after a long weekend on the mountain.

Reply to this TR

july-14-15-2012-middle-sister-se-ridge
azimmerman85
2012-07-20 07:04:21