Home > Trip Reports > July 12 - 14 Paradise Glacier and Nisqually Chutes

July 12 - 14 Paradise Glacier and Nisqually Chutes

7/15/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Bill G on 7/19/12 10:48am
This report is a bit old, but I thought it might help folks making plans for the weekend.

My niece and nephew came out for a visit to the great PNW from the east coast before heading off to college.  Growing up skiing the man made snows of New England, the backcountry of Washington was an eye opener.  

Thursday we headed up the Paradise Glacier.  After more woodsy approaches in the North Cascades the prior week, it was nice to travel in the open grandeur of Mt Rainier.  Some flowers were poking through, but snow was continuous from the 4th crossing parking lot and it was well consolidated making for pleasant travelling.  After enjoying thier first upward skinning trip, we reached the perennial cravasse at around 7500 or 8000' (not sure of the elevation).  It was their first look into a cravasse.  It was fun to see this world through their eyes.  The ski down was perfect and super enjoyable.  In the late day warmth the snow was silky corn atop a nice firm base.  Couldn't have been better.

After a day with the family on the Muir snowfield we headed to the Nisqually Chutes (Saturday July 14).  Weather was perfect for climbing - slightly overcast.  Snow wasn't continuous from the parking lot, but bootpacking was swift and pleasant.  Once above Pebble Creek we donned skins and skis and wandered around the snowfield a bit - leaving the trough to the army of ants headed to Muir.  Once on the snow field the sun and summit came out and started working on the snow.  We lunched on some of the rocks above the Nisqually at about 9000 ft. - enjoying the sun and the fantastic tracks left by Amar and Co. on the Wilson Glacier into the Nisqually.

Aside from a bit of rock debris on the skiers left, the Chutes were absolutely perfect.  At about 2 PM the snow was soft edgable corn on a firm base with plenty of coverage at the entrance.  There were a few icy bits, but the run was just the right combination of sporty and fun.  The bottom of the chutes are such a scenic spot - lots of ice falls, rumbling, and monstrous waterfalls.  Smiles all around.  There were some slowish spots on the run on the run below Panarama Point.  We arrived at the car about the same time as the rumbling of thunder to the east.

It seems like all three areas (Paradise, Muir, and Nisqually Chutes) should be in good shape - no real suncups especially if it remains warm.

I'll try to post some photos later tonight.

Bill G
Thanks, Bill.

An update on the Paradise Glacier from this morning: Boring Video

Good indication of the coverage.
Thanks Andy.

seems like good coverage still!
Thanks Andy

We lunched on some of the rocks above the Nisqually

I've been that hungry.    ;D

A whole bunch of people skied today Exciting video

Reply to this TR

july-12-14-paradise-glacier-and-nisqually-chutes