Home > Trip Reports > July 18, Hood, Zig Zag

July 18, Hood, Zig Zag

7/15/12
OR Mt Hood
Posted by David_Britton on 7/18/12 10:03am
Did the zig zag side of hood today. What a nice piece of terrain that is! Ran from 9,500 to 6,500, and a long ways west of Timberline; needed to skin back up to 8,000 to get across to the lifts, where my 75 year old dad is going after the pistes.

1st photo is nearly 3K of vertical with nice pitches; 2nd photo the old man getting after it.

Things were soft on top but with maybe a couple of inches of ski penetration only. Marine layer below and some spotty t-storm type activity on the horizon. Just now it cleared at timberline and things seem to be settling in for a few good weather days. If anyone is down stop by Lance Camper in lower lot and say hi.

Your dad = my hero !!

Nice!  Zig Zag Glacier is strangely under-appreciated - at times there are loads of people crowding the narrow runs on Palmer, and you can ski a couple hundred feet over onto Zig Zag and feel like you're the only person on the mountain.

- I recently saw a guy your Dad's age, hiking the Mt Lassen trail (on his birthday).

I was curious about this area so took a photo the next day from down below and 'shopped in my route. This is a tricky area to ski in low vis as you tend to get drawn away from the lodge.

Also added couple of photos from a retread of upper part of route we did on Saturday the 21st. No suncups, firm hero corn.

I nice picture of your ski/return route.  ;)

I agree with the trip routes picture..thank you!  What do you think of the sun cup situation at this point?  Just skinned and skied Paradise gl to Camp Muir with a ski the same way.  Snow was really pretty nice down to 7000k after that-- fun but cuppy..

Bach has been pretty smooth up to a few days ago at least.

Nice report! The coverage up high looks excellent for late July.

Slightly off-topic, how's the coverage over @ Timberline? I'm on the fence about joining some friends down in Govy for the weekend to do some summer park laps - can you still ski back to the T-line parking lot? What about the Mile, can you ski to that? If not, about how long of a walk is it now?

re: suncups, very, very minor.
where we were skiing, mostly on zig zag, between 7 & 10K, very smooth.

re: lift ops, ski out to parking lot was fine , though with the usual slop on the lower flat stuff. I think ski out to parking lot will be good for another week or two. pistes/groomers were in great shape as of Sunday the 22nd

Reply to this TR

july-18-hood-zig-zag
David_Britton
2012-07-18 17:03:52