Home > Trip Reports > July 17, 2012, Squak Glacier

July 17, 2012, Squak Glacier

7/17/12
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by silaswild on 7/17/12 2:52pm
We spent most of Monday trying to get the latest beta on where to ski a nice long line with minimal walking, ended up turning around in Enumclaw after heading for Adams.  Road just open all the way to the Scott Paul trailhead had us encouraged we might get to ski soon after starting out, nope (at least not for us.)  We booted 1300' vertical, all the way to the gap with Shuksan view, more than an hour, some on big hard suncups, great for steps, bad for skinning.

Weather seemed threreatening, air was superhumid, and eventually we turned around at the 8900' crevasse.  Not looking awful, but consequences of a breakthrough without a rope might be. We skied good 2" slush to 8000', then grabby off and on to 6000', then somewhat jarring suncups to 4600' where we put skis on the packs and booted down.

A discouraging trip for me, first time (after 180 days use) my feet hurt in TLT5P boots.  Too much Malbec last week with my Argentine guest perhaps?   At least the senior sitters and shopkeepers were awesome!  As was the bargain pre birthday cake, thanks.

Anyone willing to share a summer secret smooth line stash, please PM.  That would be a great birthday present.   Otherwise it looks like a lot of days at my usual reliables for this time of year.

https://vimeo.com/45984759
Out of curiosity what would your usual reliables be this time of year? I'm going for my first 12 months of consecutive snowboarding and it seems like the next couple months might get a little interesting.

Squock looks pretty good to me!  Did someone defy gravity?

Reply to this TR

july-17-2012-squak-glacier
silaswild
2012-07-17 21:52:52