Home > Trip Reports > Mt. Baker, Coleman Headwall

Mt. Baker, Coleman Headwall

7/15/12
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by mtngeek on 7/16/12 4:13pm
Another TR from this increasingly popular line. It is a bit late in the season, but still had a fantastic trip. Enjoy!

http://mtnsaremyhome.blogspot.com/
Thanks, for the post.
We are coming up the Mt. Baker on the 7/28 do you think the Coleman will be skiable?
Did you ski down roped?

Nice one, it looked pretty exposed and coverage seemed minimal. White knuckle fun is right. I gotta
admit after hearing about the accident up there, it really makes you think of the consequences.

Happy you found the line through it, closing in on done for the season?  Andy has a good point about the consequences we face many times on these steep lines.  At 43 I am feeling my tolerance level for being scared seemingly lowered trip by trip.........

author=Oyvind_Henningsen link=topic=25381.msg107306#msg107306 date=1342634608]
At 43 I am feeling my tolerance level for being scared seemingly lowered trip by trip.........

Oyvind - is it tolerance or adrenaline?  I'd say if it's adrenaline, you get plenty of that doing the fine job that you do at EMR.

Bendite- are you talking about the Coleman Demming route with the Roman wall? Yes that should be fine, and is often skiable all summer. We rope up a in a few places skinning on the way up, but not on the way down, skiing down roped up is very difficult to manage.

Andy-yeah it was a little sobering to hear that too, like I said a good experience but it was very easy to see how things could go south in the blink of an eye.

Ovind- pretty sure it is done for skiing, but the climbing season is just starting. Mostly I just like long days out and exploring, exercise, steep lines are good occasionally, but on some level it is a game of risk that might catch up with you no matter how careful you try to be..... RIP Randosteve

Reply to this TR

mt-baker-coleman-headwall
mtngeek
2012-07-16 23:13:40