Home > Trip Reports > July 14, 2012, Panorama Ridge (south of Whistler)

July 14, 2012, Panorama Ridge (south of Whistler)

7/14/12
Canada BC
Posted by johnnyg on 7/16/12 2:09am
Panorama Ridge overlooks Garibaldi Lake in a spectacular alpine setting near the Black Tusk, about 7 km south of Whistler. This is a good area for an overnight trip with camping at Taylor Meadows, but I decided to try it as a day trip this time. Left the trailhead at 6:30 ahead of all other day-hikers and made my way up the 7.5 km switchback trail to campground. About another 20 minutes farther I was able to put on the skins as (almost) continuous snow started in Black Tusk Meadows. From there it's another 6 km to Panorama Ridge, where there's a north-facing bowl that holds snow all summer.

After one run off the ridge I was lured over to the shoulder of Black Tusk, where an aesthetic, steep east-facing line just had to be skied. I then booted up that slope a second time to get a few more turns in on the southeast side back down to the meadows.

This was the hottest day of the summer so far, with the temperature reaching 32C/90F in Whistler. The snow condition was slushy sun cups, but not too sticky. The snowpack coverage is about the same as mid-August last year and melting fast. I got back to the car a bit before 5:00 and proceeded directly to Squamish for a Big Gulp.

Reply to this TR

july-14-2012-panorama-ridge-south-of-whistler
johnnyg
2012-07-16 09:09:45