Home > Trip Reports > 7/14/12 Hood S Side Salty Corn

7/14/12 Hood S Side Salty Corn

7/14/12
OR Mt Hood
Posted by artfreeman on 7/16/12 12:33am
We had been planning on Baker for Friday-Saturday, but switched at the last minute when we saw the T-storms forecasted.  Went south to Hood instead where the weather was supposed to me a lot better.  Turned out to be a good call.  This was a Mountaineers basic alpine climb and everyone had a great time.  Two of us were on skis.

There is climbing info on the Hood RS website.  The normal route is out of condition and everyone is going up the "Old Chutes," see first photo, and notice that the snow surface is still pretty smooth there.

On Friday afternoon Hollywood and I skinned up beside the lift to the top of the Palmer chair and took a nice run on fresh corduroy, since the area had just closed and they had started grooming for the next day.  Should have rinsed our skis better since the salt rusted the edges a little.  Guess we are Mt Hood rookies.  Camped Friday night at the pay campground (Still Creek--expensive, can fill up, but nice) and really did not get our money's worth since we left at 1:30 am Sat and started hiking at 2:00.  Several parties were ahead of us.  Could have started later, but there is concern about rock fall as it warms.  Be careful.  On top in 5.5 hours where we pledged elegance to the flag and relaxed for about an hour.  Unfortunately for me the sun was filtered through some clouds so the upper slopes were too icy, but would have been excellent a bit later.  Skied from the base of the upper chute with the snow gradually softening and by the top of the lift it was excellent.  Took another bonus run while waiting for non-skiers to get down.  Great Mexican food and milkshakes in Government Camp.

(Negatives--bozos roped up with no pro and might fall on you --we never roped up, but had the gear.  This mountain attracts a lot of people who really are not prepared or experienced enough to climb safely.  Long drive.  Not exactly a wilderness experience.  AH employee from ski camp who sprayed us with wet slush on purpose-very very rude.)

Overall, glad we went and it is still good skiing there.  Go mid-week if you can.
author=artfreeman link=topic=25371.msg107240#msg107240 date=1342452808]
On top in 5.5 hours where we pledged elegance to the flag ...

Good move. Much better than pledging clumsiness ...  ;)

You are so right, and isn't it a good thing that I'm the bean counter and not in the editorial department!

yaa, they think its funny to ski close/ spray someone, but they are clueless !

Reply to this TR

7-14-12-hood-s-side-salty-corn
artfreeman
2012-07-16 07:33:28