Home > Trip Reports > July 14, 2012, Adams, Avalanche Glacier, PG16

July 14, 2012, Adams, Avalanche Glacier, PG16

7/14/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Oyvind_Henningsen on 7/15/12 10:07am
Guess the second annual biking ski was moved to Adams this year?  Awesome time with Tobae, Khanh, Chris, Stephany, Alisa ;D  thanks for coming Dave and Sean  ;)

Avalanche Glacier Headwall skied nicely, similar pitch to SW Chutes, slightly steeper maybe.
There is an idea for Turns All Year calendar!

Nice conditions in that area!

The hottest most scantly clad bodies of the day:

1.  The feisty one
2.  Innocent and passive
3.  Finally getting his hands on some tail

And some photos of the skiers:

1.  Tobae getting after it as she nears the summit
2.  Oyvind at 10.8k after skiing corn from the summit
3.  Stephanie with Mt St Helens in the background

More photos here

The heck with hanging with the team TLT5p, I want to roll with you guys...  ;D

Looks like conditions were very different from Sunday, where a steady wind kept things cool all day, and even forced me to put my long underwear on!  Arrived at Piker's Peak around 1pm to a crowd of at least 20 people (and 2 dogs) waiting for conditions to soften.  Most lost patience (or heat) and skied down the South Spur under mediocre conditions.  Only saw 2 people ski from summit to Piker's and a few even left skis at the bottom of the flat traverse once realizing how firm and frozen conditions still were.

After tagging the summit and getting back to Piker's at 3pm, we decided not to ski the chutes, instead opting for the South Spur since it had more direct sun and would likely have better conditions (+ other reasons).  Skied back to within a 30 minute walk of the trailhead - 5,000+ feet of descent in 1 hour with lots of breaks for pictures - excellent ski!  We learned later the chutes were soft enough at 3pm and were pretty good once past the icy and firm top.  Continuous snow from somewhere around 6000.  It was great to put in a 7,000 foot 1 day assault... Little T is looking tasty.  Why does Adams have to be so far away from Seattle area? :'(

Hey Shred - bikini required  ;)
Radka and Chris - yes friends Gordon and Dan skied off the top and down avalanche glacier on sunday, they said it was pretty frozen on top, but once below the rock bands it softened up for good turns.

Sort of sad that I'm 0 for 2 on these trips.

You guys are missed up here! Looks like it was a blast!

Reply to this TR

july-14-2012-adams-avalanche-glacier-pg16
Oyvind_Henningsen
2012-07-15 17:07:49