Home > Trip Reports > July 14, 2012, MRNP, Russell Glacier

July 14, 2012, MRNP, Russell Glacier

7/14/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by iluka on 7/14/12 12:36pm
An update on the conditions on the Russell Glacier: The trail from Mowich Lake is snow free until just shy of 5,400 feet when the snow becomes pretty continuous up into Spray Park. It's no longer possible to ski continuously from Spray Park up to the Russell Glacier as some short carries are necessary at several points until you get beyond the gap between Echo and Observation Rocks. (see the photo) Only a few tiny cracks developing on the Russell Glacier at this point and some sun cups starting to form as well. There was no freeze overnight so no corn to be had but the glacier still skied pretty well, with the best snow being from about 9,400 feet (where the glacier plateaus for a short bit below the headwall) down to about 8,800 feet. The snow was pretty grabby in the flat sections but anything with pitch skied fine.  I didn't ski either the Russell or Flett headwalls but they seem like they're still in good shape. Spray Park below the headwall is starting to get sun-cupped but with the soft snow conditions, it was still easy to make turns.
Great report!  I had wanted to do this same trek with a friend today but didn't have enough time.  It would have been the first time there for me, and I'd still like to try again soon.  What are the road conditions like (okay for a car with low clearance)?  How long did it take to you to get from car to the top?

To get to Mowich Lake requires traveling on gravel road for about 15-16 miles but it easily covered with any car. Just some big potholes and washboard here and there but you don't need high clearance.

4.5 hours from the TH to about 9,400 ft on the glacier. Few breaks along the way, however.

Reply to this TR

july-14-2012-mrnp-russell-glacier
iluka
2012-07-14 19:36:54