Home > Trip Reports > March 22, 2005, Baker BC

March 22, 2005, Baker BC

3/22/05
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by galen on 3/23/05 12:30am
Leaving the lot at 8:00, we saw the Alaskans were already making turns on the Seattle Chutes. Our guide for the day mentioned that it was probably their second run, must have something to do with growing up in the dark all winter, it desensitizes them to getting up so early. Or it might be their fondness of fluffy light early morning snow.

A short trip up to just below Table Mtn and down we went into a steep chute. I'm a bit of a clumsy skier and the steepness of this chute is at the max of my comfort level. Due to the deep/light snow though, it was a piece of cake (with lots of frosting!).

At the bottom and with the collective consciousness of our group realizing what a magnificent snow pack we had lucked into, all eyes started scanning the surrounding hills. Herman, it had to be Herman. No tracks, nobody going up it yet and so close.

Being new to this skinning stuff and as a big fan of building trails for cycling, I weaseled my way to the front and got to play with the route up through a bunch of boulders. At the top, standing next to the cornice, I realized that this was going to be the moment I'd wanted to experience since riding the ski bus 30 years ago. Our guide went first but seemed to stop in an awfully short distance. Hmm, I go and immediately hear a shout that my brain processes as avalanche! I stop quickly, standing in the middle of "Cornice Gully" (geez what name) and hear "He wants to take a video" whew!. Then the moment comes and within two turns I realize that this was what my 10year old self imagined me doing up here some day. Skiing down with the cliff to the right, trees to the left and nothing but untracked, light and beautifully laid down by the heavens, just for this moment snow.

After we get to the bottom of Herman we decide to go ski the shadows somewhere under Table Mtn. We do, it's steeper yet but with this "Safety Snow", I had nothing but smiles all the way down.

Comfortably tired and somehow enlightened enough to call it a day without exhausting ourselves with more runs, we made our way back to the lot. For me, I think the enlightenment came by way of a goal achieved. I'm feeling a strange sense of contentment about skiing that I hadn't all winter. Now I'm familiar with what I've been after and will from this point on, be at peace knowing what its like.

Names of participants withheld due to the many definitions of "Sick Day". -Thanks you two
... I'm a bit of a clumsy skier ...

Not so I noticed!!

That's just beautiful.  I'm glad you found a little piece of happiness.

Damn!!!  It was killing me to have to work when I knew the skiing was going to be good.  Glad someone got to enjoy it.

Gregg

Reply to this TR

march-22-2005-baker-bc
galen
2005-03-23 08:30:39