Home > Trip Reports > July 7, 2012, Two Old Broads, Camp Muir again

July 7, 2012, Two Old Broads, Camp Muir again

7/7/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Kismet on 7/12/12 7:01am
Last minute plans were concocted to bring together the Brownie Lady and me for a ski playday at MRNP.  I was excited to see her as 11 months had flown by since our last adventure.  I call her the Brownie Lady for her sweetness.  She's the kind of lady who carries homemade brownies to Camp Muir to leave for a mutual friend so he'll have something welcoming to eat after his Rainier summit...the kind of lady who after baking one batch for the friend, decides she should also bake a second for the Muir rangers. 

Saturday morning, we arrived at the Pardise parking lot just before 6am.  In our excitement, we disrupted the peaceful quiet and so I must apologize to the two guys snoozing nearby in their truck. We did not see the heads sticking out of their sleeping bags until it was too late, our giggles probably sounding like cackling crows to them.  It was a beautiful morning and sometimes one needs an easy-low-key-kind-of-adventure without concerns of bad weather, avalanches, navigation, etc.  I still had key tools in my pack just in case so no worries or lectures please ;D

Here are photos of our trip.  Similar to the other Muir reports, you have to remove skis at a few places like Pan Point - Pebble Creek.

Me and the Brownie Lady starting off - photo taken by Dr.D

The view behind was great...I love the Tatoosh range.

On the lookout for marmots, I would have missed the goats if I had been alone.  I've taken countless photos of mountain goats in the Olympics but this was my first time seeing them in MRNP.  I thought they were native to MRNP (unlike the Olympic ones) but Dr.D and Brownie Lady said they are not??  ???

The brownie lady and me enjoying the view - photo taken by the good Doctor

We spent a long time at Camp Muir...probably a little too long. I was content and not envious of the climbers surpringly.

Ant Hill.  Holy Sh** I have never seen so many climbers & hikers on their way up to Camp Muir. 

The Good Doctor and the Brownie Lady laughing about her slow mo crash

Anvil Rock...a few good turns and a whole lot of smiles - photo taken by Dr.D

Brownie and I lounging on the hot pavement.  It was Disneyland at Paradise, many families playing in the snow. - photo taken by a random stranger

Playing tourist on the drive out...-  photo taken by Brownie Lady

I can now check off my first trip report ever, my July turns and 7 consecutive months of TAY 8). Not sure how you all keep this up.  It is going to be tricky to fit turns in over the next few month. Thanks for reading.
Be very careful ! That kind of  behavior is very addictive!

Great first report.  Neither look very old or broad to this geezer.

Don't sweat the August and September turns this year - piece of cake.  Just follow Silas.  Heck he will probably offer to carry your stuff to the snow for you, since it will be so close.

Reply to this TR

july-7-2012-two-old-broads-camp-muir-again
Kismet
2012-07-12 14:01:49