Home > Trip Reports > Chinook Pass - July 7

Chinook Pass - July 7

7/15/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Chamois on 7/9/12 1:49pm
Jorie, Susan, and Ingrid (not to be confused with Irene!) were kind enough to invite me to ski up at Chinook Pass on an awesome bluebird day.  We skied (mostly) around the west side and up to the summit.  I was surprised to see some huge cornices still up there.  The chicky-doodles led the way down the ridge -  my better turn is to left but too much of that would have ended in disaster -  and the women generally out skied me, as usual.

Though Jorie decided to do a good imitation of a hinged door into the slope.  While sun-cupped the slopes skied rather well until the more gradual slopes where it was a bit grabby.  We got the most vert we could, and then did a second run.  Irene wanted to test her new phone's video, link below.   We traversed upwards back towards the lot where I bested Jorie's dynamic fall while kicking steps, foot slipped out, and off I went into a tree well.  I tried to argue that technically it was not a fall since my skis were on my pack - to no avail.  We ended the day with beer amongst the yard sale of gear in the dry spot in the parking lot. 

https://vimeo.com/45487080

couple more photos

Reply to this TR

chinook-pass-july-7
Chamois
2012-07-09 20:49:18