Home > Trip Reports > July 7-8, 2012, Fernow and 7FJ

July 7-8, 2012, Fernow and 7FJ

7/7/12
Posted by mikerolfs on 7/9/12 12:17am
Skied lots of great terrain in the Mt. Fernow and 7 Finger Jack area.  My Buddy, Aaron, opted for a lighter pack sans skis and he was less tired than me on the summits, but I got the better end of the fun stick.  You can't ski from the summit of either, at least on the easy sides, but you can ski most of them and there is plenty of snow left.  Continuous snow from Leroy Basin at 6000 on up (mostly).

https://vimeo.com/45440967

The trail is dry except for some pretty fierce crossings later in the day (it was hot, maybe won't be bad on a normal temp day).  I remember thinking that I wouldn't want to have my kids cross these streams.  We took the pace pretty easy as you can see from the nap picture below.    On Sunday, we slept in until 8 AM which was AWESOME.  The third photo is of a tarn on the north side of the Jack/Fernow col which looked just like the shape on the map.  Shouldn't be a surprise, but I thought it was cool.
Nice video! Sounded like you were having way to much fun.

Hows that dream tele setup?

Thanks Leyland,
I'm still as excited about the dream set-up as I was in the beginning.  TTS bindings, F1 boots, and 160cm Voile Vector BC's.  No skins on most summer trips (including this one).  My pack weighed 30# with skis, boots and poles packed.  Its easy to carry, I love how it skis, I like walking in the boots, Crampons on the F1s are easy (compared to duck bill), and the short skis are better for ducking brush than full length skis.

Boot soles are showing wear.  The F1s aren't made for walking on rock.

That is a cool shot with the topo map held up in front of the matching tarn.

Sweet Mike!  Glad you're digging the TTS.  Sounds like you've got a fantastic summer setup.

That's the cat's ass, Mike.  But just say no to the downhill base grind.

author=peteyboy link=topic=25329.msg107195#msg107195 date=1342288060]
That's the cat's ass, Mike.  But just say no to the downhill base grind.

Thanks Pete!. I'm counting the grass skiing toward my annual ski vert total :)

I put some photos on the new Wenatchee Outdoors forum site.  For Wenatchee area folks, this site is a great resource.

http://www.wenatcheeoutdoorsforum.org/showthread.php?114-Mt-Fernow-and-Seven-Finger-Jack-July-7-8-2012

that video made it look like lots of fun. nice tele style!

Nice Mike! I was thinking about climbing those and Maude next week.

Sorry if I missed it, did you use the Chiwawa river rd? If not, heard any reports regarding it? Thanks.

author=kevino link=topic=25329.msg107261#msg107261 date=1342485670]
Sorry if I missed it, did you use the Chiwawa river rd? If not, heard any reports regarding it? Thanks.

Yes, Chiwawa River Road.  Completely dry.  Smooth sailing.

Nice trip report Mike, looks fantastic.  I was home for two days and now back on the road.  I went and skied Colchuck again, not as nice as when we skied it , but about the lowest fruit on the tree for a quick trip. Did I forget to mention, you are certifiably nuts. Loved the video!

Reply to this TR

july-7-8-2012-fernow-and-7fj
mikerolfs
2012-07-09 07:17:30