Home > Trip Reports > Cascade Pass area 7/6-8/2012

Cascade Pass area 7/6-8/2012

7/15/12
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by JimD on 7/8/12 11:13pm
Shred & I headed up Hidden Lake Pk. on the 6th to stay in the lookout. After dropping gear we climbed the peak and skied down on perfect corn to the small lake SE of the summit, then completed a circumnavigation by traversing the south face back to the lookout.

The next day we met Eric at the Cascade Pass parking lot and climbed up onto the shoulder of Mix-up for a run which was surprisingly firm (but good) for so late in the day.
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6384/ericskiscp.jpg" />

We left the car around 5 the next morning (good timing to stay cool) and climbed Sahale to the summit rock. Crampons were necessary to traverse up to and above the pass at that time of morning. By the time we descended around noon the upper slopes were slurpy, but still skied ok, the arm and below was quite good.

Get it while the gettin's good (should be a while yet).
We saw you guys drop in on the back of HLP.  Very nice turns.  The west side had some great late day snow for the trip home.  Sibley Creek drainage is still skiable to the woods, but that will go fast this week.

Bill G

Nice photos and thanks for the TR!  How much snow is left below Cascade Pass, still enough to ski down to the road switchback or did you take the trail to the pass?

How did the ridge traverse from Hidden Lake Peak summit to Sibley Pass look? I'm planning on doing it on foot next weekend. Any glaring obstacles?

It looked like most parties were going to the summit via Sibley Pass.  It looked to be in good shape.

Bill G

That first pic is $! Thanks for sharing.

Snow down to the parking lot is still in, but a couple of thin creek crossings to watch out for down low. Jeff preferred the short brush bash (I think he found something of a trail back to the car on our second day), while Eric & I skied another couple hundred feet down to the hairpin turn and climbed short steep dirt back to the road. Anywhichway it sure beats walking the trail!

Wow... What a great year.  I'm amazed at how long the snow is staying around.  Thanks for the excellent pictures.

Great pics Jim!
Shred just can't keep his skis on the ground ;)

Reply to this TR

cascade-pass-area-7-6-8-2012
JimD
2012-07-09 06:13:47