Home > Trip Reports > July 7, 2012, Russell/Flett glaciers, Rainier

July 7, 2012, Russell/Flett glaciers, Rainier

7/7/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by andyski on 7/7/12 12:06pm
Was too warm for much of a freeze so things were pretty gloppy, but amazingly smooth. If we get a melt/freeze it will be incredible up there. Lots of snow. Made it to about 8,500 feet on the Russell before realizing that it was stupid to spend a bunch more time climbing only to see it get warmer and then ski meh snow when there is perfectly cold beer in the world.

Set off some sweet hissers on steeper aspects, including a bunch on the Flett headwall, which was the best skiing of the day. I don't take Knapsack and therefore don't pay attention to what it looks like, though another skier I chatted with regretted taking that route, but we didn't get into the details.
Hi Andy,
I was that skier - nice meeting you.

Knapsack approach still had fair amount of snow with a few short carries but definitely more sporty than the trail.

Has anyone been up to the Flett since? I've never been up there and I'm not sure if its worth the effort this late...any beta is appreciated!

I was up there 2 weekends ago. Clouds were in so visibility sucked, only skied the headwall and spray park..

I bet spray park is melted out by now, Flett headwall is probably fun. But if I was heading up there I would focus on the russel glacier.

Reply to this TR

july-7-2012-russell-flett-glaciers-rainier
andyski
2012-07-07 19:06:39