Home > Trip Reports > July 5, 2012, Mt. Baker Ski Area

July 5, 2012, Mt. Baker Ski Area

7/5/12
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Zap on 7/6/12 5:28am
We left the house at 8am for a 3 hour drive up to the Mt. Baker ski area.  The drive was great and we parked the car 10 feet from the snow.  There were a couple of skiers who were just returning from skiing earlier this morning.  The road is still gated near the ski area, although it€™s cleared all the way up (or as far as we could see).  We stopped to take some photos of Mt. Herman, where we had climbed and skied a few years ago €“ boy, that sure was steep and now seems so scary looking.  We stopped and pulled our skins at an area that we could ski that didn€™t seem too risky.  The upper areas were all steep so we ruled them out!  While we ate our lunch, we marveled that we€™d skied most of that terrain which now seems so steep and daunting.  Zap can tell that his right leg is still weak and doesn€™t have the power to make him feel real confident about skiing the steep stuff; hopefully the surgery will give him more strength.  There was plenty of snow and there is great skiing to be done.  The views were spectacular and it was great to reminisce about all of the tours that we€™ve done there. 
Wow! lot of snow up there still.
Good call.
Putting that area on my list right now!
Thanks for the intel.

Indeed.  Thanks for the information on how the conditions are there!

a couple nice days i see !

I went there on Thursday and Friday and had a great time

Reply to this TR

july-5-2012-mt-baker-ski-area
Zap
2012-07-06 12:28:38