Home > Trip Reports > July 4, 2012, Sunrise

July 4, 2012, Sunrise

7/4/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Zap on 7/6/12 5:12am
We got out early to go skiing at Sunrise at Mt. Rainier.  Zap€™s left ankle was sore from twisting it a little the night before.  The Sunrise road finally opened, and it was the first sunny day we€™ve had in a while.  At Sunrise, we stopped at the Ranger Station parking area, skinned up, and headed east up to the ridge with an elevation gain of only about 450€™.  The area we climbed was in great shape.  At the ridge, we stopped and had lunch and enjoyed the views.  Mt. Rainier and the area around it were beautiful.  On the other side of the ridge, the terrain is very steep with a great chute that we skied several years ago.  For years we skied the steep slopes and climbed all around that area.  But this is not the year for me to ski the steep stuff; after my stroke this is a re-learning year.  We only did a short tour with some nice turns because we decided to save our energy for skiing at Mt. Baker near the ski area on Thursday.
Nice to see that your got up there, Zap.
Looked like a storybook beautiful day.
Really happy that you are recovering so nicely.
Keep it up, mate.  ;)

Hey Zap & Jill,

Debbie, Brett & I must have just missed you!  We rolled in around 10am, shuffled up to just West of Antler and started yo-yo-ing the Sourdough Chutes, working west as we went, ending up at the low saddle.

Glad to see you're out working the snow.  I've been thinking about you just about every time I slap on my Vector BC's - which is a lot this season!  Hope your's are treating you as well as mine are, though it is a bit of a pain waiting for Debbie & Brett to rip skins  ;)

Gorgeous day.

-Dave

Those are some nice looking tracks in the second photo Zap. Steep stuff is overated and quality trumps quantity. Looks like you've still got it.

Reply to this TR

july-4-2012-sunrise
Zap
2012-07-06 12:12:38