Home > Trip Reports > July 4, 2012, Mount Baker Mashed Powtatoes

July 4, 2012, Mount Baker Mashed Powtatoes

7/4/12
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Pandora on 7/5/12 5:10pm
Adam Roberts agreed to join me for a trek up the Coleman Deming to celebrate 'mericuh. In retrospect, I should have foregone the one hour of sleep I got and climbed through the night instead, thus securing a descent of thousands of vertical feet of powder on the Fourth of July. As it was, we broke trail to the summit through 4-10 inches of dense pow that became, inevitably, thick mashed powtatoes for our descent.

The turns were still pretty fun and it was a GORGEOUS day; we couldn't stop exclaiming over how lucky we were and wondering where the hell everybody else was. It turned out they just got a later start and planned to camp; we saw a number of people who were on their way up as we skied toward the Hogsback. I learned the hard way, yet again, that having beer waiting in the car is crucial for these kinds of trips. Please learn from my mistake and do not take any risk in this department. And go get some turns, the coverage is incredible right now.

author=Pandora link=topic=25296.msg106880#msg106880 date=1341562227]
...I learned the hard way, yet again, that having beer waiting in the car is crucial for these kinds of trips. Please learn from my mistake and do not take any risk in this department...

Sage advice.
Great photos.
Thanks for the TR.

thought about camping/watching fireworks from the summit then skiing some of the numerous lines the next day--seemed like a good weather window for that--but... didn't get it together.  not entirely beerless tho

thanks for the vicarious stoke, nice pics!

Nice, looks like great coverage.

Long live 'mericuh!
Great pictures, thanks!
How is the trail? Where is the snow line?

Reply to this TR

july-4-2012-mount-baker-mashed-powtatoes
Pandora
2012-07-06 00:10:27