Home > Trip Reports > July 4, 2012, Camp Muir

July 4, 2012, Camp Muir

7/4/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by silaswild on 7/5/12 5:18am
We skinned from the overnight parking at Paradise to the summer route up Pan point which we walked to a little beyond Pebble Creek.  From 8000' level to Muir we found half an inch of compressed fresh snow on a crust over 2-3" more fresh. On the way we encountered descending summit attempters who had turned back at 12600' due to wind slab hazard.

While enjoying the clear nearly calm weather at Muir we found Tom Szwedko, who now has 392 consecutive months of tay and skis around 300 days a year, mostly near his home in Leadville, CO.   He had skinned from fourth crossing up the Paradise Glacier, so we joined him on that descent in heroic 3-4" creamy butter snow to 7200' and then 1" corn to his car.

Back at Paradise we saw the mobs of other tourists enjoying our country's fifth national park. We watched the nice 21 minute video in the visitors center, and highly recommend it.

https://vimeo.com/45292139
So that is who he was ... I was just behind him on the 4th (and went up Cowlitz Rock ridge instead of the glacier) and met him today in the 4th xing parking lot as he headed back out to Cowlitz saddle, I was behind him until the end of the ice caves trail when I decided to do laps in the back bowl instead--wrong decision!  I skied 9-10 (the shortest and steepest) 1/2 way down and diverted to 9-1-1 to avoid the avy debris at the bottom and ended up in crappy debris anyway.

Hi Silas - it's Ron from the Randonee/Telemark class (new instructor).... My wife and I were up there yesterday as well, what a great day! We were a bit late in our start, as a result we were coming down as the sun was going down behind the mountain.  Things got icy pretty fast!  But some sections were incredible that were still getting some sunshine. I was looking at going up Pan Point as it looked like there may have been enough snow to skin up most of the way - decided against it as my wife was on snow shoes..

I'm going tomorrow :)

So you cannot skin past Panorama point up to Pebble creek? Did you hike in your ski boots?

Anything to look out for? I am assuming it doesn't make sense to be bringing Verts, what about ski crampons?

Cheers
Ivo

Reply to this TR

july-4-2012-camp-muir
silaswild
2012-07-05 12:18:26