Home > Trip Reports > July 4, 2012, Sunrise, Fremont NE bowl

July 4, 2012, Sunrise, Fremont NE bowl

7/4/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by wolfs on 7/4/12 1:35pm
Beautiful day up there. Not too warm. A little less snow than July 4 last year. About the same amount of runneling in any area below about 6500'. But once above that, quality of snow probably better than last year. The little skiff of snow they got yesterday made everything nice clean white and smooth. Some of it even refroze into a nice firnspiegel.

Tried something a little different than my usual 3rd Burroughs and instead checked out the NE bowl of Fremont. That is a NICE bowl. Great pitch, and had the nicest looking corn I've seen this year. Approached by following approx the Huckleberry trail then veered into the bowl and up the gut. Not sure that is the ideal approach, was a bit indirect and took a long time. However, the other way to it is clampering bare ground 300 or more vertical feet above the Fremont summer trail, so the price of admission to this nice bowl is high.

Hillmap route: http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychALEghTYXZlZE1hcBjJwCkM

Burroughs northside environs from top of true summit Fremont:

Looking into the bowl:

Over on Inter Glacier someone put down some rock star turns. The new snow made their tracks appear dramatically even though they were many air miles away.

Remember that Sunrise is supposed to be closed tomorrow ...
Agreed, Wolfs.
That's a great bowl. We usually ski down it facing NE and then climb back up in the general area of the Huckleberry trail.

Just so's the geriatric element know -- it takes geezers a while to get back up out of there  ;)

Hitting that up on the way to and from Fremont peak is probably my favorite sunrise tour.

author=wolfs link=topic=25283.msg106841#msg106841 date=1341462934]
Beautiful day up there. Not too warm. A little less snow than July 4 last year. About the same amount of runneling in any area below about 6500'. But once above that, quality of snow probably better than last year. The little skiff of snow they got yesterday made everything nice clean white and smooth. Some of it even refroze into a nice firnspiegel.

Tried something a little different than my usual 3rd Burroughs and instead checked out the NE bowl of Fremont. That is a NICE bowl. Great pitch, and had the nicest looking corn I've seen this year. Approached by following approx the Huckleberry trail then veered into the bowl and up the gut. Not sure that is the ideal approach, was a bit indirect and took a long time. However, the other way to it is clampering bare ground 300 or more vertical feet above the Fremont summer trail, so the price of admission to this nice bowl is high.

Hillmap route: http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychALEghTYXZlZE1hcBjJwCkM

Burroughs northside environs from top of true summit Fremont:

Looking into the bowl:

Over on Inter Glacier someone put down some rock star turns. The new snow made their tracks appear dramatically even though they were many air miles away.

Remember that Sunrise is supposed to be closed tomorrow ...

Nice pictures - looked like a great day!

Do you think anything is getting a crust overnight.  We're going up to Summerland/Frying Pan this weekend and the temperatures are bothering me.

Reply to this TR

july-4-2012-sunrise-fremont-ne-bowl
wolfs
2012-07-04 20:35:34