Home > Forum > Avi Gear in summer?

Avi Gear in summer?

• Koda
  • [WayneH]
More
04 Jul 2012 13:44 #106836 by Koda
Avi Gear in summer? was created by Koda
I have always carried my avi gear on all ski tours even summer, but I've heard its not needed...

Who carries their beacon/shovel/probe etc. in summer ski-mountaineering routes? Who does not? Why/why not? Just curious what the community has to say. I've always though it less common but possible a slide could happen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• -Josh-
  • [bakerguy87]
More
04 Jul 2012 16:33 #106838 by -Josh-
Replied by -Josh- on topic Re: Avi Gear in summer?
Maybe I'm just paranoid but personally I always have my avy gear, even when riding inbounds typically. I usually keep rope and extra food in my pack as well. Just in case

More
09 Jul 2012 08:55 #106991 by Pete_H
Replied by Pete_H on topic Re: Avi Gear in summer?
Typically no, unless there is unseasonble fresh snow. Slides in summer-like conditions indeed occur but are typically of the wet/slush slide variety which are more likely to inflict other damage than burial.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
09 Jul 2012 12:40 #107009 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: Avi Gear in summer?
Depends on the objective such as.
Mt Baker-Coleman Deming... probably yes although I didn't on my recent trip to the Interglacier .
Sunrise Chuting - nope.

Why? personal assessment of probability and older I get the lighter I need my pack to be.

• Jonathan_S.
  • [Jonathan_S.]
More
09 Jul 2012 13:11 #107012 by Jonathan_S.
Replied by Jonathan_S. on topic Re: Avi Gear in summer?
This reminds me of variations I've had on the following conversation with various partners over the years before late-spring and early summer tours in the Sierra and PNW:

He- "Do you think we should bring avy rescue gear?"
Me- "Yes."
He- "So . . . you think our route might have avy danger?"
Me- "No."
He- "Then why should we bring avy rescue gear?!?"
Me- "In case I'm wrong."

That said, there are some tours and some combinations under which avalanches are just absolutely impossible, and bringing avy gear is totally pointless (except for the possibly non-avy uses of a shovel).
However, where to draw the line between "I might be wrong" vs "this is totally pointless" can be a hard call...

• andyski
  • [andyski]
More
09 Jul 2012 15:50 #107021 by andyski
Replied by andyski on topic Re: Avi Gear in summer?

Typically no, unless there is unseasonble fresh snow. Slides in summer-like conditions indeed occur but are typically of the wet/slush slide variety which are more likely to inflict other damage than burial.

This

• Koda
  • [WayneH]
More
09 Jul 2012 19:05 #107031 by Koda
Replied by Koda on topic Re: Avi Gear in summer?
I like Scotsman's take depending on the objective, and I've had the same conversation with partners as Jonathan...

Like I mentioned, I always bring mine.... in case I'm wrong. One concern I've had is larger natural slides with a longer run-out, perhaps started from icefall. So in this event, beacons would be essential....

Speaking of the Coleman/Demming route on Baker and summer avalanches.... I had my first trip to the N Cascades last weekend (7/8/12) skiing the summit of Baker on this route (you N Cascadians are spoiled). Sometime Sunday morning when we were approaching the Roman Wall I looked back and a large avalanche released off Colfax Peak and covered quite a bit of ground stopping short of the bootpack highway. I can't help but ask myself could it had been bigger. We stopped for a photo on the ski out....

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 Jul 2012 21:18 #107073 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Avi Gear in summer?

Speaking of the Coleman/Demming route on Baker and summer avalanches....  I had my first trip to the N Cascades last weekend (7/8/12) skiing the summit of Baker on this route (you N Cascadians are spoiled). Sometime Sunday morning when we were approaching the Roman Wall I looked back and a large avalanche released off Colfax Peak and covered quite a bit of ground stopping short of the bootpack highway. I can't help but ask myself could it had been bigger. We stopped for a photo on the ski out....

That slide path looked clean when we arrived at Heliotrope Ridge on Friday afternoon. A big slide came down shortly before sunset. I remember noticing it and saying, "I don't remember that before." I looked at pictures taken earlier in the day and it wasn't there.

I think those slides are mostly icefalls. To my eye, those ice cliffs below Colfax Peak are looking very spooky--especially the cliffs at looker's left, which were relatively quiet over the weekend. I recommend not pausing anywhere in that area. I'm pretty sure people have been caught there before when icefalls crossed the climbing route--much further than you'd expect. Generally you don't survive that sort of avalanche.

On the subject of this thread, I generally don't bring a beacon in late spring and summer. What Pete_H said....