Home > Trip Reports > July 1, 2012, Mt Rainer, Interglacier butter

July 1, 2012, Mt Rainer, Interglacier butter

7/1/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by lrudholm on 7/2/12 8:24am
Some doubt at the parking lot in the morning with misty rain. But once we reached glacier basin most of the clouds parted and we climbed up above the cloud deck concealing sunrise, crystal and the rest of western washington.

As always great views of the upper mountain from steamboat prow.

The snow was pretty mushy on the way down, but it was surprisingly fast, smooth and damn fun. Should have gone up for a second lap!!!!!! Big high speed drifting telemark turns!
That view of the slopes above the clouds is just awesome.

Beta on the approach? Where did you put skins on?

author=Bobby Ocean link=topic=25268.msg106766#msg106766 date=1341279193]
Beta on the approach? Where did you put skins on?

I crossed the river on a tiny tree at the flagged switchbacks a bit before glacier basin and switched to skins very shortly thereafter. By next weekend it might be better to keep the shoes on until glacier basin camp.

The new white river trail as of last year is really nice.

Nice turns in July! Any bears on the trail?

I was expecting to see a few bears but we must have just missed them. Lots of bear scat and sightings by others.

July 2, just as good. Great snow and merciful cloud cover. Here's another pic going up and the bear. Great day to be out there. We hiked 90 minutes before putting skis on.

Thanks for the report. I like the bear shot!

Yeah!  Go bear!!  8)

Thanks for the great report!  We are headed to interglacier on Sunday.  Wish we could bike in on the trail...

Reply to this TR

july-1-2012-mt-rainer-interglacier-butter
lrudholm
2012-07-02 15:24:55