Home > Trip Reports > June 27-28, 2012, Chinook Pass, Naches Peak area

June 27-28, 2012, Chinook Pass, Naches Peak area

6/27/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by sheispiste on 6/29/12 2:15pm
School's out for summer!
Which means I've joined the midweek ski crew. Dod and I headed out early Wednesday morning for Chinook Pass. We found the Lake Tipsoo parking lot frozen over which made the walk to the restrooms the biggest crux of the trip. Snow was firm in the shade as we skinned right out of the car towards Naches Peak and the eastern bowls. We bumped into fellow tele and teacher TAYer telemack and his mate Keith_Henson. Mack set off a small slough as he ski cut the line.

I did the same in the upper basin from the ridge line (which is, don't worry, sped up in the video). The tarn below is beginning to blue.

The corn was buttery sweet. Surprisingly, the snow stayed fantastic all day with no morphing into mash.

Later the firn spiegel glistened!

The night was warm and full of stars, and the magical illumination that only a strong snow pack in June can do for the evening skies. In the morning, we took to the steepening line above restrooms at the pass.

Later, we had a lovely chat with Zap and Jill beside Lake Tipsoo and followed their great idea up around Naches for lines on either side. Here's cheers to Zap's recovery! The weather began to change quickly and by 2:30 Rainier was wearing a winter hat pulled down to about 9000 feet.

video is here.
Looks good!
Cool viddy ;)

Great video!  Last year we camped there also.  Liked the shot of you two drinking a beer at your campsite ;). 

Great to meet you and yourpartner, shespiste.  Keith got some good photos too.  Maybe he will post them now, since I left town before I wrote a TR.  Wish the weather was as good down in southern Oregon.

Reply to this TR

june-27-28-2012-chinook-pass-naches-peak-area
sheispiste
2012-06-29 21:15:15