Home > Trip Reports > June 27, Silver Peak mid-week

June 27, Silver Peak mid-week

6/15/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Chamois on 6/28/12 3:32am
Saw the weekend forecast so went for low-hanging fruit mid-week.  You can drive to the summer trailhead.  I opted for the road ski, others were taking the clearcut and managing with some step-overs.  Looked pretty shrubby to me. 

Upper clearcut and lower basin are fine, a bit sun-cupped in places.  Upper baskin and east facing slopes skied well.  West slope to the lake is done for the year.  Once those rocks start getting exposed it goes quick.  Was joined by 8 other folks and one dog - others coming up for the afternoon shift.

I skied back on the road with only a couple gingerly walk-thrus on 15 ft wide bare patches that are likely widening quickly.

Photos of folks I don't know:

Good to see lots of folks out scraping down the bumps! Thanks for the conditions update.

Looks like Bonnie and Kit in your pics...
A formidable, widely known mother/son team.

Oh-oh, you could be in trouble.  That pair was a early-30ish couple.

author=Chamois link=topic=25235.msg106673#msg106673 date=1340984690]
...  That pair was a early-30ish couple.

Bonnie will be pleased to see that comment.  :)
I guess if you averaged them they might be "30ish".

I suspect we'll need the snoseeker to unravel this difference of perceptions.  ;)

author=Chamois link=topic=25235.msg106637#msg106637 date=1340908333]
West slope to the lake is done for the year.  Once those rocks start getting exposed it goes quick. 

It is always worth looking carefully over on that side if you like that pitch, and are willing to deal with some "narrow ribbon" skiing in a few spots as well as booting back rather than skinning. Whenever I've skied over on that side, I've always had exposed rocks on one side of the other (or both!) of me, fwiw... But do watch out for the holes that tend to open up into the talus beneath. Looks like The Snow Troopers still found a good run thattaway just yesterday.

No, Ron, I don't think that needs any clarification. I kinda like it the way it is! It was a fun group up there that day. I was surprised how many turned out mid week; given our weather recently, I guess I shouldn't have been. Thanks for the pics Chamois! Good thing it was the back of my head  :)

You're welcome.  I promise not to tell anyone about the beer payment for that posted remark.  Cheers!  ;)

Reply to this TR

june-27-silver-peak-mid-week
Chamois
2012-06-28 10:32:13