Home > Trip Reports > June 27, 2012, Vesper Peak, Dawson sighting

June 27, 2012, Vesper Peak, Dawson sighting

6/27/12
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by Oyvind_Henningsen on 6/27/12 10:58pm
Tobae, Jon, Dave, and I got a non-alpine start of 15:40 yesterday for an afternooner on Vesper Peak on the Mountain Loop Highway.  Colorado plates on a vehicle had us thinking and at the crossing of the creek our suspicions were confirmed.  Lou Dawson and party coming down from having skied Vesper.  Cool.  Sorry we did not take the time to chat.

Crossing of the creek is sketchy when water is running fast, especially for the dog.  A fall into the water would quickly turn a happy outing to a life threatening situation.  I wish that a big log could be placed across to secure the passage of man and beast.

Snow and skinning from bottom of basin.  Booted to top of pass.  Ice axe handy, but soft enough to not be absolutely necessary.  Dave put on the afterburners and about 45 minutes later we were on the summit.  Thanks Z, nice work putting in the steps.  A little shy of 3 hours to the top, including 15 minute dog delay at the creek.

Spotty cell coverage for texting on summit with ATT.  Great corn skiing on the way down.  Good coverage down from the pass and into the basin.  Not too dirty or suncupped.  Headlamps remained in the packs.  Got to love long days!

Good times with good friends.
Nice one O, sorry I couldn't join you.

Who would have guessed how versatile a snowboard can be.  Thanks guys for engineering a bridge for Luna.  Descent at 7pm was perfect-the mush had hardened and skiing was very enjoyable.

Nice! Sounds like you guys got better snow than we did. Fun times.

Reply to this TR

june-27-2012-vesper-peak-dawson-sighting
Oyvind_Henningsen
2012-06-28 05:58:11