Home > Trip Reports > 6/24/12 Mt Daniel_Lynch Pk Oops, we did it again!

6/24/12 Mt Daniel_Lynch Pk Oops, we did it again!

6/24/12
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by artfreeman on 6/26/12 12:04pm
Hey, Hollywood, I thought we said we weren't going out in weather like this anymore!  Oops, we did it again.  We led a Mountaineers basic alpine climb up the Lynch Glacier on Mt Daniel (original plan was Baker Boulder Glacier which I was hoping to ski, but it seemed way to rainy there).  So we saw a good sucker hole for Daniel as a day trip on Sunday and went for it.  I can't recall a trip with more clothing and ski transitions.  Rain, grapple, snow,  sun--we had it all. 

The road to the TH is open to the end but the potholes are very bad and I doubt we exceeded 10 mph on most of it.  Crossing Scatter Creek may have been the crux.  We looked at it for several minutes until James walked out into the deepest part and was able to stand there with the rapids to his knees.  So our Rav4 and Highlander make it.  I would not want to risk it with my Civic.  The whitewater would definitely be hitting the doors.  (Hey, here is an idea, open all the doors so the water can flow through!  I'd want to have AAA on the speed dial too.)

This was Saturday night.  Camped at the road-end and headed out at 4:15 Sunday.  The trail is hard to follow in snow patches at first, then dry, then by about 4000' mostly snow.  Squaw Lake is totally snow covered, same with Peggy's pond.  You better have very good navigational skills until the path is beat in.

The snow at Peggy's pond and below has annoying cups and runnels, BUT a little above that the snow is excellent with nice smooth fresh stuff.  Excellent corn potential.  We traversed over to Lynch Draw at about the 6300' level.  Climbed Lynch Pk which is N of the draw and just east of pt 7291 (aka Dip Top) Lynch was a fabulous ski slope (one steep section measured 49 degrees (smooth safe runout)  Dip Top looked good too.  After climbing Daniel via the Lynch Glacier, James and I skied back down the Lynch--super nice--and then met the others back at Peggy's.

This is a long day trip (cars at 9:30!) and my hip is real sore, but I'm glad we went now that I've had a few days to reflect on it.  It was a great group too.
Man... That is a crazy long day! I usually get delusional after 8 or 10 hours. Glad to see you got some nice weather windows. How long do you think it would have taken if you would have just done Daniel?
  T

We've climbed the Lynch and down the scramble route before (not skiing) in maybe 12 hours.  Hard to remember.  This is not a super human day trip.  We were not that fast and took breaks (plus that side trip).  Usually Wood figures the stats from his gps--I'll post if I get them.

Reply to this TR

6-24-12-mt-daniel-lynch-pk-oops-we-did-it-again
artfreeman
2012-06-26 19:04:25