Home > Trip Reports > June 12, 2012, Mt Baker Circumnav Tour

June 12, 2012, Mt Baker Circumnav Tour

6/12/12
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Chris S on 6/26/12 11:57am
Trip: Mt Baker - Circumnav, ascent BP Cleaver, ski Park Glacier

Date: 6/12/2012

Trip Report:
Skied a counter-clockwise circumnav tour on Mt Baker from the Heliotrope Ridge last week. Camped at the Hogsback, at 6500' on the Easton Gl, at the toe of the Boulder Park Glacier, and at the Mazama/Rainbow Saddle. Had hoped to climb and ski Colfax and Sherman Peaks, but the weather wasn't cooperating.

Had blue bird skies on Friday morning, the day we planned to climb to the summit via the Boulder-Park Cleaver, and skied the Park Glacier via the Cockscomb entrance. Fan-freaking-tastic day. Saw the helicopter circling to the west and thought that there may be a rescue in progress on the North Ridge.

That same day, as we were 1500' below the summit, we saw a team of 10 who appeared to be following our traverse track across the Boulder Glacier toward the Cleaver. I assumed this was a guided group or climbing club who hoped to climb the BP Cleaver in the morning. That evening, at the Mazama-Rainbow Saddle, we were shocked to see this same group of 10 coming down the Park Glacier at 9:30pm. They had just traversed the entire east side of the mountain on foot in a day. They were moving slow, so we went to sleep before they arrived. In the morning a set of tracks leading past our tent 30' away and into the clouds were the only sign they had been there.

Gear Notes:
We had 1.5 clear days out of 5. GPS, compass, maps, and navigation skills were essential to this trip.

Approach Notes:
One last pile of snow blocked the TH parking lot, which I imagine is melted away by now.  UPDATE: 26 June - the trailhead is completely open.  Expect to carry your skis to the Kulshan cabin site.

Approaching the Hogsback and into the clouds.

White-out navigation across the Squak, Talum, and Boulder Glaciers on Day 3.  Except for a brief moment crossing the ridge between the Talum and Boulder Glaciers, we could only see 30'-100' all day.

Amazing crystal clear skies on Friday.  Looking up the Boulder-Park Cleaver

Standing on the summit.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-uk1BTuyFaYw/T-KoaUtGzAI/AAAAAAAAQx8/vL8tnUmu43U/s512/IMG_6037.JPG" />
Skiing the Park Glacier.  4000' down.
Very nice.  I like all these circumnavigation trip reports. I'd like to do this one too some day.  Either that or Whatson's traverse.  Thanks for inspiring.

author=danpeck link=topic=25226.msg106615#msg106615 date=1340837324]
Very nice.  I like all these circumnavigation trip reports. I'd like to do this one too some day.  Either that or Whatson's traverse.  Thanks for inspiring.

Why that's Watson my dear elementary...

What elevations did you cross the Roosevelt and Coleman glaciers?

Reply to this TR

june-12-2012-mt-baker-circumnav-tour
Chris S
2012-06-26 18:57:16