Home > Trip Reports > June 25, 2012, North Twin Sister, Summit

June 25, 2012, North Twin Sister, Summit

6/25/12
OR elsewhere
Posted by Vince Lamphier on 6/26/12 10:28am
  Me, Jake, and my two dogs Davey and Whisper started at 1200' at the bridge that crosses the Middle Fork of the Nooksack river with our mountain bikes and a bob trailer to pull my gear.   More pics at Whatcom Studio

It was a weekday so there are a lot of trucks on the road for the first 2 and a half miles. Their are log trucks and a couple of rock trucks hauling out the great climbing rock Olivine. The Twin Sisters holding the largest body of exposed Olivine in the Western Hemisphere.

The first part of the trip takes you up 2 and 1/2 miles to 2600' where you hang a right and  then we were  free of the trucks, which was a relief because of my dogs. From there you continue up on the road most traveled. You will eventually cross a bridge and shortly after that come to a Y where you go left. The road gets a little smaller and you continue to follow that to 3200' where the West Ridge trail head begins. From there it is about a mile to about 4000' at which point you switch over to hiking mode. After this point it is about 2400' to the summit.

The last 1000'  pitch gets steadily steeper. The last 400' was like climbing a ladder. After 5200' of elevation gain it was nice to reach the summit. We made it just in time to get some nice pics, as a 1/2 hour after descent the mountain was totally socked in, but as it was we had some great views of Baker and the S Twin and the rest of the Twin Sister range. I found out that the dogs are no longer able to come along when I get into steep terrain. They did not want to come down. They had to be forced and it was no fun. My buddy had to grab my black lab by the backpack and they went barreling down the mountain(sliding). I think they went about 800' in about 10 seconds.Scary! I picked the littler dog up and boarded down with her in my arms until the grade was a little less steep. The first thousand feet had some nice corn and then it got a little mushy towards the bottom , but my fresh wax helped me move along nice and smooth. It was a great run, and a great day!  More pics

author=samthaman link=topic=25223.msg106589#msg106589 date=1340809649]
Awesome! I love the twins
I got my first idea for the tour from your trip report. Thanks!

Great! That's why I write them

I see your buddy has an axe, but did he rock tennis shoes up the north face? Or did he take the west ridge? Any of the truck drivers say anything to you?

author=bakershredda link=topic=25223.msg106668#msg106668 date=1340958395]
I see your buddy has an axe, but did he rock tennis shoes up the north face? Or did he take the west ridge? Any of the truck drivers say anything to you?
He rocked the shoes up the north face. He originally wasn't going to go that far he was going for the bike ride , but once we got that close he went for it. I let him use my axe and I used my whippet.
I talked to some of the drivers to ask how many trucks were up there. Actually ended up going to school with one of the log truck drivers. They are very cautious if they know your up there. If you start your climb around 730ish all of the trucks are already out and you only have to get up 2 1/2 miles and then your free of the trucks. It takes the loggers about 3 hours round trip.

Great sounding trip.  I've climbed the South Twin and have always wanted to ski the North Face of the North Twin.
If you go again, and you don't mind a tag along, send me a PM.

Don

author=Lynden Don link=topic=25223.msg106802#msg106802 date=1341339600]
Great sounding trip.  I've climbed the South Twin and have always wanted to ski the North Face of the North Twin.
If you go again, and you don't mind a tag along, send me a PM.

Don
Sounds Good! Always looking for more ski buddies!

Reply to this TR

june-25-2012-north-twin-sister-summit
Vince Lamphier
2012-06-26 17:28:54