Home > Trip Reports > June 20, 2012, interglacier/the prow

June 20, 2012, interglacier/the prow

6/20/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by PowderT on 6/25/12 2:08am
Left trailhead at 6:15 am w/ T-rev and Mike. First 1.5 miles of trail was dry with continuous (ish) snow starting around 5500'. We didn't actually start skinning until Glacier Basin because of the easy walking. We saw several large piles of bear crap before the basin. Perfect weather and snow allowed us to skin to the top in t-shirts. 5500' with the top being visible for the last 4000' reminded me of St. Helens. I was just glad that we were the first ones up so I couldn't tell how far it was.
  I had never been up here before so I had to be reminded to stop taking pictures and just sit down and eat/rehydrate! We hung-out for around an hour and dropped in around 2pm. 3500' of perfect untouched corn! This is a nice continous pitch. Snow got a little sticky around Glacier Basin, but sticky snow is still better than walking. Saw a bear near the trail.

P.S. Sorry to hear about the climbing ranger... I think that happened the following day. What a difference a day makes conditions wise. Tee shirts and soft corn one day, glaze ice and 40mph winds the next. Be careful out there...
I'm new to this site so bear with me on the pics....

Nice talking with you guys on top.  What a glorious day with equally good turns. The next day was also nice, but the snow was not as good on Frying Pan.  Shortly after coming down Meany Crest we saw one of the helicopters circling Emmons.  Very sad.   Weather took a turn for the worse on day three during our attempt of Double Peak/Chimneys. We aborted due to steady rain and low visibility.  We found a little redemption on day 4 on Naches.  I think you guys managed to hit the best weather of the week.  Hope to see you out there again!

please tell this is going to work

Nice! This shot definitely is working..

Reply to this TR

june-20-2012-interglacier-the-prow
PowderT
2012-06-25 09:08:52