Home > Trip Reports > March 19, 2005, Hidden Lake Pk, NCNP

March 19, 2005, Hidden Lake Pk, NCNP

3/19/05
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Kenji on 3/20/05 9:41am
No much to report as far as skiing goes, but it may help some planning  a next trip.  The road had the new snow from the late last week, up to 8" at the road end.  My minivan with tire chains made it within a half mile from the TH.  It was not the best car for this, but carried 5 of us nicely: Stefan, Ema, Paul, Hana, me.  As we were getting ready to skin up, an SUV came up as if there was no snow.  They decided to back down to where we parked instead of pushing all the way.  As we watched, they promptly backed into the ditch, firmly got stuck.  We dug, pushed, drove, put chains, etc; spent over an hour to get them out.  The weather started out resonable, but by now it was gray and snowing.  We skined the summer trail into the main valley where there was a good coverage.  Near the head of the valley, there was over a foot of new snow bonded well to the old crust.  The snow was blowing hard as we travered South to gain the ridge.  We decided that was enough for the day at about half way toward the saddle over the lake.  The boulder field on the west side was filled in with enough new snow for pretty good skiing, back to mid-winter stuff!!  We headed down to the trees instead of traversign back, cutting into the valley half way down.  The trail was questionablly skiable except those wooden steps.  Some of us skied most of the way down to the car, but Hana proved walking was just as fast, or faster.

With more snow on Sunday, it is in good shape for more winter skiing with reasonable road access.   It was nice to ski with you, Stefan and Ema.
kenji, good to ski with you guys as well. very impressed with your daughter's hana bc skills !!

Is this report for March 19?

March, of course ;)

Thanks.  Have fun tomorrow; save some for weekenders!

Way to ferret out the goods, Kenji.  Good TR.
And IF I ever fell like getting my rig stuck I'll follow you in to a trailhead b-4 I do it  ;)

Reply to this TR

march-19-2005-hidden-lake-pk-ncnp
Kenji
2005-03-20 17:41:07