Home > Trip Reports > June 23, 2012, Silver Peak sunshine

June 23, 2012, Silver Peak sunshine

6/23/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Splitter on 6/23/12 8:07am
With Sunday booked with my daughter, I only had Saturday to ski this weekend.  The UW models showed no precip until 11 or 12.  Waking up to rain pounding on the skylight, I almost bailed.  I guess I didn't want to wonder if it would have been good.  The rain quit on the drive and the pass was mostly blue sky with fog clinging to some of the ridges.  Climbed out of the fog in the clearcut but by the time I reached the summit, clouds were rolling in, so I had some sun but not bluebird.  I was thinking of making a lap on the west side, but I was too lazy to walk down the ridge to where the snow starts.  It looked good in Silas' video from last week.  Instead, I crossed the summit and took the skiers right of the twin chutes.  It was still pretty firm at 9:00 and I sideslipped some at the top.  The rest was a little grabby and not too smooth but it was great to get out without getting rained on.  Staying on the S edge of the clearcut, you can get through with only one 10 ft carry.
On June 20, we watch a spltter descending the same chute. You called the weather window.  ;)

Way to hit it.

We should have gotten our fat asses out of bed earlier.  Had a couple close lightning strikes.  Flashboom

author=Big Steve link=topic=25198.msg106437#msg106437 date=1340503066]
We should have gotten our fat asses out of bed earlier.  Had a couple close lightning strikes.  Flashboom

Scary stuff, I've had "sparkle-hair" once before and I wouldn't like to repeat it. 

Where were you when it hit?

Reply to this TR

june-23-2012-silver-peak-sunshine
Splitter
2012-06-23 15:07:58