Home > Trip Reports > June 21, 2012, Crater Lake

June 21, 2012, Crater Lake

6/21/12
OR elsewhere
Posted by rong on 6/22/12 10:46pm
I left Diamond  Peak mid afternoon (20th) and headed to Crater Lake for some views and turns.  It's a long drive down the west slope of the cascades and then back east over Willamette pass to the east side.   I camped at the Thielsen TH parking area near Diamond lake, as it has facilities and no payment required.  Everything at the lake takes money. 
Headed to  Crater lake at 6:15am the 21st.  It's only a 15 minute drive from the Diamond lake area.  Alas, I had to pay to get into the park.  I wish this was a wilderness area instead of a NP. 
My plan was to ski Hillman Peak and The Watchman, which I did and was done by 9:15.  Both were north aspect only, as all other aspects were melted out.  Nice corn at 8am.  Both offer only about 400' of turns.  The views are worth the trip here, as this is a mighty spectacular place.
I was not able to get to Mt Scott for the trifecta, as the rim drive has not been plowed yet, and will not be until July.  From what I could see from across the lake, Scott will be melted out by the time the road is plowed.
I will try photos later as the TAY site will not allow right now. 
welcome to summer !    there should be skiing still available down here through next month. love those views !

I was finally able to get pictures uploaded.

Great photos are beautiful.  It reminds me of the 400' shots last year.

Nice pics... That first pano looks like a wall hanger. Last time I was down there I drove all the way up and couldn't even see the lake!(forest fire). Cool place though.
  Cheers!

Reply to this TR

june-21-2012-crater-lake
rong
2012-06-23 05:46:26