Home > Trip Reports > June 20, 2012, Diamond Peak OR

June 20, 2012, Diamond Peak OR

6/20/12
Posted by rong on 6/22/12 10:19pm
8am departure from the Corrigan Lake TH on the west side, with clear skies (full of mosquitoes) at 5050' and bare ground.  I reached intermittent snow at 5600', and started skinning at 6300'.  Broke tree line at 7200' in the west bowl (Corrigan), and proceeded (with boot crampons) to the west ridge, where I packed skis,  and crossed the ridge onto the larger west/SW bowl (there are 2).  Traversed the bowl south to an obvious chute and up to the top of the snow field at 8050'.  At this point I dropped skis as the upper mountain was melted out, and proceeded to the summit.  I reached the summit at noon, and took in the views of the other neighboring peaks of which there are too many to mention.  My planned decent was down this W/SW bowl which I had traversed, cross the west ridge back into the Corrigan bowl and out the way I had come, and since i had deposited my skis 650' down the mountain that is what I did. Once on the summit I regretted this action, as the NW bowl was in prime shape, as was the SE aspect.  Both ski-able from the summit.  Oh well, I will know better next time.
I scrambled back to my skis, and finished my day with nice smooth turns to the tree line and out the intended route.  I was able to patch skip down to 6000' before returning to boot pack mode for the remaining 1k to the trail head.  For those who have not done this mountain, it has a lot of options from the summit and associated ridge line because of it's large foot print.  I was surprised at the large feel of the 8700' peak.

Nice Ron, wish I could have joined you.  The NW bowl is definitely worth a return trip!

I liked the report.

Reply to this TR

june-20-2012-diamond-peak-or
rong
2012-06-23 05:19:38