Home > Trip Reports > March 19-20, 2005, Mazama Ridge

March 19-20, 2005, Mazama Ridge

3/19/05
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by JibberD on 3/20/05 8:17am
What a massive difference a week can make.  Last week we were concerned with sunburn in Mazama Bowl, this week it was the potential for hypothermia that kept us alert.

A great group of guys met up at Paradise for a camping ski tour.  I showed up on Saturday and met up with Rob and Jim from Portland...then, by chance met up with Jon and Brian at the Paradise can, where they'd come to do some business after already spending Friday night on Mazama Ridge.  Tdave could not be coerced off the ridge and waited for our arrival at which time the extended yo-yo session began.  

Winter came back this week and things are being covered over with a heavy blanket that promises to extend the season by at least a couple of weeks, if not more.

We dug a pit at the top of the chute on the southwest flank of Mazama Bowl and found 14" of fresh windblown.  The column settled at the underlying crust on strike 26, so we felt confident that the bonding to the crust below was pretty stable.

tdave aka "mank master" making it look easy (again):

Woke up this morning, after a relatively comfortable night, to 4" of fresh.  I'd estimate that 4" fell on Saturday and another 4" in  Wednesday's dump, for a foot of fresh since last weekend (maybe more).  These are crude estimates, but the point is that we got some snow...which is a good thing, if you're into that sort of thing.

Look for some "epic" Paradise reports today...we saw at least a dozen skiers headed into the backcountry this morning as we were headed out.  I'm certain with the right eye they found some sweet and deep softies as we did.

This sport just keeps getting better and better.  The most important thing I'm learning is to fight the urge to stay home for an easy weekend in town.  I'm amazed at how pure physical exertion can be so relaxing and rejuvinating.  Is there an explanation for this?  Does anyone feel the same?

A bad day skiing is better than a good day stripping wallpaper. Looks like you had a good couple of days skiing, so it makes perfect sense to me.

Unfortunately I'm checking in from NYC, where there is no snow on the ground at this point. I'm hoping we get some more March/April snow dumps so I can remember what fresh snow feels like under my skis! Thanks for the nice photo of Tdave - he's got a nice stable tele turn for sure!

the house can always wait...until I'm dead.

I think we watched you two ski that line. We ran up right after you and found nothing but huge snowballs that you two had littered the entrance. Decided to move to a smoother line. Thanks a lot. :)

Thanks for the TR and photo, JibberD. And you told me you'd flubbed the pic.

This weekend's snow conditions impressed me too. I saw the pics from Jibber and Jerry's trip last weekend...what a difference. I only hope that it continues.

I don't mean to rub your nose in it, Jibber, but Friday was definitely the better day. 10" of fresh with more or less clear skies. I only wish that I hadn't worn myself out so toting that 18 pack of Tecate into camp. ;D But Jon and I did manage to get a few runs on the east and north facing slopes of Mazama bowl before happy hour. Later I headed back out with Aaron - a late show - and Joe for three splendid, and only slightly inebriated, runs under intermittent moonlight. Sweet.

Saturday, well JibberD pretty well covered that. I tried keeping up with him and Iron Rob, but had to keep retreating into the woods to sip ginger tea and rejuvenate. The rest of the boys hid out in their tents, avoiding the cold rain and snow. Yes, rain. We had a few brief periods of it mixed with the snow. Just enough to soak a gore-tex clad body to the bone. Luckily Iron Rob and the Scotsman had brought along their Mega Mid and saved me from a very wet night outside. I love those guys. :)

Yesterday we packed quick and split. The snow was good but some of us were still wet, tired, had to get back, etc. And the scent of coffee and hamburgers was wafting perfectly from the Highlander to our noses.

Now I just need to see if I can talk anybody into taking a day off this week...

tdave, thanks for rounding out the trip report by adding the Friday portion.  From the looks of Brian's pics you certainly were rewarded for being there that day.

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the Nikon was snapping photos while I was wondering why it was not snapping photos.  What, me worry? ???

I agree, Rob and Jim are great guys.  Thanks again to you, Jim, for helping to set up my tent Saturday night.  Knowing that I was going to be wet all day my strategy to keep warm was to ski until dusk, then race back to camp to set up the tent and change into a dry layer...which worked great.  The only problem was that I actually only met Hank? while seated across from him at the Highlander after the trip..."So, like were you part of the Mazama Ridge group?"  I felt so anti-social.  Well, it was fun standing around in the snain, boiling water with you guys Saturday night.  My colon is still in recovery mode from that freeze dried crap I consumed for dinner though.  Think I'll steer clear of the deeply discounted internet food purchases next time around.

md2020, sorry I chowed up that chute so badly for you guys.  It was just not a moment of grace and the snow paid the price for my gackage on those turns.  Fortunately things went much better the rest of the day...  Some runs are just better than others :)  The others are the ones I remember ;D

Hmmm, only Monday and already looking forward to the next tour.  Life is good.

"snain"  I like it!  Nice meeting you too, Jibster.  

Reply to this TR

march-19-20-2005-mazama-ridge
JibberD
2005-03-20 16:17:32