Home > Trip Reports > June 21, 2012, St Helens, Warm flows

June 21, 2012, St Helens, Warm flows

6/21/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by mik68 on 6/21/12 1:16pm
Had a gorgeous day at St. Helens "warm flows". Walked up to 4200 ft (start of snow) and skinned from there to summit without any problems. Crampons and ski crampons were not necessary. The way down was flavored with was the locals call corn(*). Fun!

Edit: The climbers bivouac is now open. I was said there is still snow. Since we didn't know that (the opening happend the very same day) we started at the standard parking place at the street.

Mik68 

PS: Sorry for not providing pics, but I have to get them from my camera first, but currently don't have the equipment here. 
(*) I'm from Germany here for a few days on holiday and don't know exactly if I found the correct term. 
Good job on bagging St Helens!!! Stellar trip you have going, Michael! From kayaking with Orcas, to the San Juan's, to Rainier and Helens, you are truly getting some of the best of what we have to offer in the Great Northwest! Smooth sailing, to you and Christian, my friend! Will have to come ski some of your sick terrain in the Alps! Take care, and go git' it!!!

"Worm flows" :) and yes, we locals call firn snow, "corn" snow... like skiing on frozen corn kernels...

nice work! wish i could have joined you.

Reply to this TR

june-21-2012-st-helens-warm-flows
mik68
2012-06-21 20:16:03