Home > Trip Reports > March 18, 2005, Steven's Pass BC

March 18, 2005, Steven's Pass BC

3/18/05
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Aaron_Riggs on 3/19/05 6:09pm
Hi everyone, I have enoyed TAY for the last year or so, but have never posted. Thanks to everyone who puts in the hours to make this site what it is. Went up to Steven's Pass Friday and started skinning at 8. Followed Thursday's skin track up to the top of Seventh Heaven, which is the upper most part of the ski area--on the "looker's right." Had a late breakfast at the lift shack and then dropped into the bowl, which had 12-15 inches of light-n-dry for the first few hundred feet. Still had to be light on the boards, as I could feel what was was lurking just underneath! Just over the ridge and there it was--the rock field. Oh yeah, now I remember--it was just one storm! I took two more laps in the bowl, half regretting not going up to Paradise. I almost skied back to my car, but decided to ski to the top of the ski resort (the main middle saddle) and look over the other side. I'm sure glad I did. At about 11:30 I met up with a crew from Wenatchee who was heading "way back" and also kind enough to let me tag along. Thanks you guys (if you're reading this) for showing me around back there. The first run off the back side--I hung back and took "sloppy fifths" down a narrow, north facing gully with excellent coverage. It opened up at the bottom into a wide snow field with a little sun crust but nothing to shake a stick at. From there we traversed South down the ridge and then booted to the top. There I was handed a gift. First shot down a deep-filled chute, into a steep, north-shaded bowl. The entire line was probably 1,500 feet. Thanks you guys! I pulled quite a bit of snow off the upper ridge, so these guys had take a much less desirable line down the entry. One more run off an adjacent shoulder (how could it be that good back there?) and time to ski back as it was getting late. Skiing back down the resort face to my car was a nice bonus--ankle deep and soft.  
Who was it you skiied with? I am new to Wenatchee and looking for partners for touring. I now a few people who tour but not much, they are more into skating and xc. Do you know if any of these people post or lurk on TAY? Thanks, Aaron

Hmmm. I'm not so sure. We left it off with a "see ya around..."
I know one guy is a Steven's Pro Patroller.

Reply to this TR

march-18-2005-steven-s-pass-bc
Aaron_Riggs
2005-03-20 02:09:56