Home > Trip Reports > June 17, 2012, Fryingpan Gl- Wet Snow, Corn and Mosquitos

June 17, 2012, Fryingpan Gl- Wet Snow, Corn and Mosquitos

6/17/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by jesski on 6/18/12 6:12am
Elliott & I had a late start (9 am) from Fryingpan Crk TH (~3900').

Trail is frequently snow covered, but snow still discontinuous until about 5000' where the end of the 5th switchback allowed continuous skinning. Standing water seems to be allowing the mosquitos good hatching grounds. We brought approach shoes and stashed them, but could have easily chosen to wear ski boots the whole time (personal preference), since there is so much snow on the way in.

Skinning up from Summerland to Meany Crest was very enjoyable, with established skin track going climber's right of Meany Crest Camp. We bootpacked a short steep section in soft snow.

Joined climber's trail toward Whitman Crest Gap around 8200' and traversed Frying Pan Gl, breaking trail. Only one visible crack near the established, wanded climber's bootpack.

Stopped for lunch spot at 8500', when clouds rolled in. 40 minutes of waiting did not produce better visibility, so we skied down following our skin track.

Small (D1, R2) skier-triggered loose, wet slides originating from 8000-7300' entrained snow below and gained momentum on the descent, necessitating sluff mgmt and deligent turn choice in the next-to-nil visibility.

Below 7300', smooth carveable corn and good vis, where we skied to our shoes (with only a few diversions).

Pad Thai and riesling back in our kitchen in Seattle to celebrate having fun despite marginal weather.
Thanks for a wonderful day, Jessie! And for the record, I didn't get bitten at all! :)

I think we saw you sitting on the glacier when we were on top.  We must have been a little behind you coming down and had almost perfect visibility with a few short waits for clearing.  We missed out on mosquitos and had almost continuous sun coming from the Emmons side.  Nice day up there after driving through the downpour in Greenwater.

Thanks for the intel.  I am planning on heading up there Thursday.

I love Pad Thai!  Way to stay safe

Reply to this TR

june-17-2012-fryingpan-gl-wet-snow-corn-and-mosquitos
jesski
2012-06-18 13:12:10