telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/18/17, 01:32 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2012 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  June 2012 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  June 17, Fryingpan Glacier, Whitman Crest
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: June 17, Fryingpan Glacier, Whitman Crest  (Read 2608 times)
Splitter

June 17, Fryingpan Glacier, Whitman Crest
« on: 06/18/12, 12:36 PM »

After getting blown off the Fryingpan 2 weeks ago, we decided to gamble with the forecast and try again.  Clouds coming and going above Meany Crest but otherwise all sun.  Skied down in great snow and good visibility.

We parked at the White River trailhead again and followed the moraine trail further this time.  Turned out to be too far, did a little rock glissading off of the moraine.  On the way back we found the good line through the maze of alder and a boot path up to the moraine.  Skinned from just above the Emmons terminus, short boot on the lower Fryingpan and then skinned from there to the top.

The turns off the top were incredible, super smooth and easy carving.  One skier we met up there thought it was too mushy but for me on a board and Pavel on Chargers, it was perfect.  It started to get sticky just as the angle increased above Meany Crest.  Coming down the steep rolls was great on the board, cutting loose line after line of slow hissing sluffs.  At one point, I was crossing a wide sluff divided by stationary vertical strips.  As I rode over it my eyes kept telling me that the strips were moving uphill, it was very disorienting, I couldn't shake the illusion.

Excellent day, we even saw a bear in the trail on the way out.

* Emmons_terminus.jpg (153.87 KB, 800x600 - viewed 613 times.)

* Blue_sky_over_Emmons.jpg (83.87 KB, 800x600 - viewed 627 times.)

* Whitman_Crest.jpg (64.21 KB, 800x600 - viewed 639 times.)
Splitter

Re: June 17, Fryingpan Glacier, Whitman Crest
« Reply #1 on: 06/18/12, 12:50 PM »

Skiers for dinner?

* Copy_of_Fryingpan_Glacier_and_Whitman_Crest_067.JPG (110.48 KB, 575x767 - viewed 596 times.)
ron j

« Reply #2 on: 06/18/12, 01:16 PM »

I like your pictures.
Bruno must have been full of berries  Wink

"When I stop having fun I'm turnin' around"
"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
wolfs

« Reply #3 on: 06/18/12, 02:09 PM »

Nice. Curious why you prefer the route of up the Glacier Basin trail and across the Emmons base and toe of Goat Island, as opposed to going via Summerland, especially since I thought you scouted that there was still a fair bit snow under the trees 2 weeks ago up Summerland trail that could potentially still speed up the deproach?

Aesthetic decision for the wildness? Gives you better flexibility for the Fryingpan steeps such that you can descend further upmountain?

Particularly wondering if your "steep rolls" were in that spot that looks like the best descent as seen from Sunrise, where the non-Summerland branch of Fryingpan Creek comes down. That area often gets divided by seracs or cliffs later in year, but otherwise looks like a nicer fall line off Whitman Crest because you're traveling almost due north and don't have to do that almost-mile of sub 15 degree slopes between the two steeper areas. I've never timed the trip right to try that out myself.
Splitter

« Reply #4 on: 06/18/12, 03:39 PM »

Nice. Curious why you prefer the route of up the Glacier Basin trail and across the Emmons base and toe of Goat Island, as opposed to going via Summerland, especially since I thought you scouted that there was still a fair bit snow under the trees 2 weeks ago up Summerland trail that could potentially still speed up the deproach?

Aesthetic decision for the wildness? Gives you better flexibility for the Fryingpan steeps such that you can descend further upmountain?

Particularly wondering if your "steep rolls" were in that spot that looks like the best descent as seen from Sunrise, where the non-Summerland branch of Fryingpan Creek comes down. That area often gets divided by seracs or cliffs later in year, but otherwise looks like a nicer fall line off Whitman Crest because you're traveling almost due north and don't have to do that almost-mile of sub 15 degree slopes between the two steeper areas. I've never timed the trip right to try that out myself.

Originally tried the Emmons approach because it is 500 ft higher and looks like a fairly direct line.  The White River/moraine trail is an easy walk and skinning between the Emmons and Goat Island is a nice ramp (almost too low angle on the way out).  The only drawback is the connection.  Coming back this time we did pretty well and I think it is faster than the Summerland trail with discontinuous snow.  Part of the attraction is the setting, you have a great view early on and it keeps getting better.  It is aesthetic and adventurous.  The snow is melting fast on the toe of the Emmons and soon it will be rubble all the way across.  Probably not much fun.  If you aren't very careful, the alder will spoil your day as well.

We considered the direct descent line (as you've seen from Sunrise?) that drops between cliffs into Goat Cirque, but given the way things were moving on us, we made the wiser choice to return via the standard ascent line (the steep rolls are just west of Meany Crest).  The low angle glacier in between the steep parts skied very well yesterday, fast and smooth with big wide turns.
ps44

« Reply #5 on: 06/18/12, 09:09 PM »

The selection of route: Whimsy?  Or take a look at the picture labeled Low Emmons.

Fixed the links:
Here is our track superimposed on the Hillmap: GPS track

Video: Peter shredding

* Low_Emmons.jpg (218.09 KB, 800x600 - viewed 421 times.)

* First_rollover.jpg (253.87 KB, 800x600 - viewed 409 times.)
« Last Edit: 06/19/12, 09:03 PM by ps44 » Logged
NickD

« Reply #6 on: 06/19/12, 07:47 PM »

Nice to meet you and Pavel, Splitter. I was the other skiier you met ascending to the glacier. I still think it was quite mushy but it was a fine day up there, when visibility allowed. Your fat boards ruled on Sunday. Tough decision--skinny ones for the easier up or fat for the down. Nice pictures. I left my camera home to prevent jinxing the touchy forecast. Wink

Looking forward to the next ski trip.
ps44

« Reply #7 on: 06/19/12, 08:59 PM »

Your fat boards ruled on Sunday. Tough decision--skinny ones for the easier up or fat for the down. Nice pictures. I left my camera home to prevent jinxing the touchy forecast. Wink

Hi Nick - nice meeting you too and thank you for putting the track in.  Yeah on the way up I was wishing for narrower skis but once I started skiing the butter from the Crest I was pretty happy.   And we also could not believe our luck with the weather.
« Last Edit: 06/19/12, 09:02 PM by ps44 » Logged
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.