Home > Trip Reports > Jun 14- Lassen, summer

Jun 14- Lassen, summer

6/15/12
US elsewhere
Posted by all mtn on 6/14/12 8:41am
- good summer snow here, especially because the top 4 to 8" was from the couple storms, over the past couple wks or so. the park service is continuing trail restoration & they actually are using something similar to a home snow-blower. it makes quite a cut in the snow. they put tools and stuff on it. this is the first yr, they're using it. conditions are great if anyone is heading to CA.
Did you actually go there today on June 14 and ski Lassen Peak??  Because according to the NPS website, Lassen Peak is now closed to all travel (including over the snow travel) as of June 13, except for the first 1.3 miles of trail:

http://www.nps.gov/lavo/parkmgmt/current-lassen-peak-trail-status.htm

Current Lassen Peak Trail Status

New! Lassen Peak Closed June 13

The entire Lassen Peak area will be closed Wednesday, June 13, as park trail
crews dislodge hazardous rocks. Rock fall avalanches containing boulders
weighing over 6,000 pounds are likely to occur; please stay clear of this
area during this work.

Beginning Thursday, June 14, the Lassen Peak Trail is open to the Grandview Area, 1.3 miles from the trailhead. Lassen Peak trail crews have begun work on the trail for the season. Travel on all other areas of Lassen Peak (including over the snow travel) is prohibited. See Off-trail Travel Restriction below for more information.

Lassen Peak closure area

We saw that posted on the NPS website on June 12 after skiing Mt Shasta and driving to Burney, halfway to Lassen. So we decided to turn around and head north to Crater Lake instead of skiing Lassen.

It would be quite interesting to find out that Lassen Peak is actually open for skiing despite what the NPS website says.

- it was so good on the North aspect, (350 vert). due to the prior precip. But, it didn't quite ski like last wks - corn pow. !   Peg (great Steely Dan song)
And, yaa I check to see the park's updates. I skied the south face/ parking area Wed and Thur. the face melts into 3 chutes. the one in the middle, was the only line still in tact. The trail crew saw me both times, and fortunately didnt kick me off. The website is more clear than than the TH information board. It sounds like it's a done deal, now.
- - How many meetings did the park service have to have for approval of the mechanical device ??

Reply to this TR

jun-14-lassen-summer
all mtn
2012-06-14 15:41:35