Home > Trip Reports > March 17, 18, 2005, Smith Brook Road and above

March 17, 18, 2005, Smith Brook Road and above

3/17/18
Posted by Larry_R on 3/17/05 6:00pm
It's been fascinating to read some of the recent trip reports by Sky and others; they are absolutely mind-boggling. This TR probably belongs on "Sit-On-Rear.com" instead of Turns-All-Year.com"  :)

With the report of snow on the way, I hoped to be able to ski Mt. McCasuland via Smith Brook Road. I was able to ski right from the car, which was nice for a change. It started snowing heavily shortly after I arrived; at least an inch an hour or more. Once off the road and on the way up towards McCausland the going was tough (for an old goat anyway). Skis on and off repeatedly to cross steams, a difficult partly melted out boulder field to negotiate, 32 deg F., snowing and blowing, getting wet from the inside out, etc. But it was great to set up camp in real winter-like conditions for once this year. Plenty of snow there at 4600' plus 8 inches new by 7 pm Wed, and 4 inches more overnight. Lot's of wind during the snowfall too.

The low overnight was 26 deg, but it was warming rapidly in the early morning, with some sun breaks. It looked to me like with that much new snow where I was and with a good chance there would be even more higher up, plus the high wind loading what was the lee slope of Mt. McCausland, plus the rising temp and some sun exposure, plus drifts covering up tree wells and other dangers, it was a good chance to take a nice ride.

So I just skied out on Thursday. Only 3 inches new back at the car.

Larry

Reply to this TR

march-17-18-2005-smith-brook-road-and-above
Larry_R
2005-03-18 02:00:31