Home > Trip Reports > June 11, 2012, Mt. Baker Ski Area Backcountry

June 11, 2012, Mt. Baker Ski Area Backcountry

6/11/12
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Donski on 6/11/12 5:09pm
Continuous snow to the parking lot continues to make for easy access into the Mt. Baker backcountry heading towards Artist Point or Table Mountain.  However, with last week's rain down low and new snow higher up, skier/rider triggered slides are of great probability on the more steep slopes.  I hiked into the basin below Artist Point and Table Mountain, and recent slide activity had me staying hikers right going up the gully as seen in the first photo.  After hiking slightly over 1,000 vertical feet from the basin, I finally reach the ridge line and am greeted with astounding views of Mt. Baker along with what looks the remnants of a massive slab avalanche as seen in the second photo.  After soaking in the views, I make some speedy turns, staying skiers left from where I started, third photo.  I would not recommend going skiers right until snow conditions further stabilize.  Once stabilized, the area should provide ample areas for some steep turns!

Snow conditions:  The first 500 vertical feet from the ridge line was 6 - 8" of sun soaked fresh snow on top of a soft crust.  Further down, the snow turns to more of a corn like consistency albeit a little sticky towards the basin.
Nice TR Don. I tried goin up there a couple weeks ago but the highway was closed for ski to sea. Was hoping to go somewhere near there this weekend but it looks like rain again  :(

I did a lap around Table Mtn. 6/15.  Slight breeze kept the snow relatively firm even as the sun poured in.  Went up to Herman Saddle and looked at that amazing fracture pictured above.  The slab displaced the ice in the lake enough to open large parts of the lake along the shoreline.  I went down and checked out the debris and continued around the loop.

Nice tracks down the Pork Glacier on Baker by some crew! 

Reply to this TR

june-11-2012-mt-baker-ski-area-backcountry
Donski
2012-06-12 00:09:16