Home > Trip Reports > June 10, Rainier, Nisqually Glacier crevassefest

June 10, Rainier, Nisqually Glacier crevassefest

6/15/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Pierce on 6/11/12 6:20am
Kind of a weird trip.  Pavel and I had plans on skiing the Finger.  But due to pretty sketch crevasse conditions on the Nisqually and declining snow conditions due to the extremely warm weather we decided to bail.

Due to our location, snow conditions, and bridges we didnt want to recross, we elected to bail to the Muir snowfield and descend that way.  I know who climbs Nisqually to ski muir??

Anyhow, it made for an interesting experience and great pictures.  Below is link to my TR with pictures:

http://www.thealpineobsession.com/crevassefest2012.html

Yikes -- high-stress terrain indeed -- great TR and nice work navigating safely.

nice pictures!  

i hadn't been over to the south side of Rainier since November...was up on the snowfield yesterday too.  I was surprised by the quantity of crevasses right up the gut of the Nisqually (I've exited the FF in years past right down the middle of the glacier too)...I thought that given the relatively cool spring we've had that things would be better covered up.

And yeah, the west edge of the Nisqually with all those point releases didn't look like a particularly safe option either.

wow. i've navigated through that part of the glacier to avoid the point releases, too, but it wasn't anywhere near that tricky! maybe after two big snow years the glacier is moving more quickly?? weird, indeed. glad you guys made it out alive.

author=Pete A link=topic=25068.msg105865#msg105865 date=1339452017]

i hadn't been over to the south side of Rainier since November...was up on the snowfield yesterday too.  I was surprised by the quantity of crevasses right up the gut of the Nisqually (I've exited the FF in years past right down the middle of the glacier too)...I thought that given the relatively cool spring we've had that things would be better covered up.

And yeah, the west edge of the Nisqually with all those point releases didn't look like a particularly safe option either.

Agreed.  It's amazing how much difference a year makes.  My buddy who skied the Finger with me last year shared this SNOTEL graph with me. 

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/cgibin/wygraph.pl?stationidname=21C35S&state=WA

As much as it seems we've had a lot of snow this year, we are far below last year's numbers, which explains why there were so many more crevasses open this year vs PY.

It wasn't exactly a straight line ...
Good Memories thou =)

Reply to this TR

june-10-rainier-nisqually-glacier-crevassefest
Pierce
2012-06-11 13:20:49