Home > Trip Reports > June 09, 2012, Mt. Ellinor, Powder

June 09, 2012, Mt. Ellinor, Powder

6/9/12
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by peggieh on 6/11/12 5:07am
Leslie, Craig, myself and 2 dogs decided to ski Mt Ellinor on June 9. Despite getting a flat tire outside Hoodsport we eventually made our way to the lower trail head where Craig decided his minivan couldn't make it the rest of the way without getting covered in mud and/or possibly stuck.

From the lower trail head we hiked along the road until we reached the upper trail head where the snow was about 25 cm deep. Hiking on through the forest we took a vote and decided to take the winter route as the other trail looked like more work and too steep for the dogs. After hiking for another hour or two and watching Leslie almost fall off a small ledge while attempting to pick up dog poop, then some post holing and foul language, we reached our goal. 

We put on our skis and did one lap consisting of 350m vertical on a NE facing bowl (we named it gravity bowl) which had over a foot of fresh powder! After regaining the ridge line Leslie and Craig were ready to go home and I agreed. A great day of skiing was had by all!
Glad you guys made it up there and took advantage of the opportunity, I was stuck admiring the view from Olympia that day.  Was the snow pack on the winter route up (S facing) still decent enough to ski at this point, or did you only ski the N facing area?

sweet! i think i know that bowl... i call it Corona bowl after a 24oz can of Corona burst in my backpack on the way up...
thanks for the road report.

author=Snitter link=topic=25066.msg105874#msg105874 date=1339474889]
Glad you guys made it up there and took advantage of the opportunity, I was stuck admiring the view from Olympia that day.  Was the snow pack on the winter route up (S facing) still decent enough to ski at this point, or did you only ski the N facing area?

Plenty of snow still up high! Its all skiable right down into the woods.

author=Splitboard Graham link=topic=25066.msg105876#msg105876 date=1339478345]
sweet! i think i know that bowl... i call it Corona bowl after a 24oz can of Corona burst in my backpack on the way up...
thanks for the road report.

LMAO thats why I always bring dank herb skiing!!!!

1. Its light 2. It won't soak your pack if it spills. 3. You don't have to worry about hitting a tree or something like you would if you were drunk.

author=peggieh link=topic=25066.msg105899#msg105899 date=1339522437]

You don't have to worry about hitting a tree or something like you would if you were drunk.
[/quote

I have seen some immoderate herbivores skiing/riding who were crashing into stuff, eating it in deep pow, and getting lost in trees... but you're point is still a good one ;)

however, liquid refreshments (unlike herbs) do have a calorie content! and it's quick energy! and its good training weight! Beer Builds Better Bodies, right? ;) Besides: there's a reason why drunk drivers are much less likely to get injured in a crash - they're more relaxed.

And now I have become a terrible example for the next generation of BC riders and skiers... 

oops. i swear beer and/or herbs had nothing to do with me putting all of that in quotes!

author=Splitboard Graham link=topic=25066.msg105901#msg105901 date=1339523723]

Very true! Carrying beer is good for weight training. Make strong legs and back.

Nice Peggie.  I will have to look into this Gravity Bowl next year.  So, what is the proper ski etiquette when a chute like Ellinor is swarmed with ascending climbers?  Does the ascending climber have the right of way?  Should I feel bad for wiping out parts of their boot pack :-[ (though I helped make them)?  Thanks.

author=Kismet link=topic=25066.msg106169#msg106169 date=1340037139]
So, what is the proper ski etiquette when a chute like Ellinor is swarmed with ascending climbers?  Does the ascending climber have the right of way?  Should I feel bad for wiping out parts of their boot pack

My solution to this is to not ski the "winter" bootpack chute. There is a cirque or bowl to the north of the winter bootpack chute that is a better ski, and if you bear right toward the bottom will dump you out at the bottom of the bootpack.

Reply to this TR

june-09-2012-mt-ellinor-powder
peggieh
2012-06-11 12:07:46