Home > Trip Reports > June 10, 2012, Fortune SE Bowl; wolverine sighting

June 10, 2012, Fortune SE Bowl; wolverine sighting

6/10/12
Posted by Big Steve on 6/11/12 4:14am
Approached via Ingalls Pass and upper Headlight Basin.  A few inches of new schmoo >6000' or so.  Funky turns up high, but fun enough and a few days of sun will cure the funkiness.  No sluffing.  Great corn below the schmoo.  Coverage still good.  We skied down to the trail <1 mile from the TH.

Randy, Anita and I saw a wolverine on the N flank of Fortune E ridge on our skin up.  No shit.  Randy watched it glissade/tumble from the ridge, near the place where we usually drop into the S bowl.  Anita and I spooked it and it ran back uphill past Randy, and then up to the ridge between Fortune and South Ingalls.  I saw its up tracks on Fortune W ridge (i.e., up from the pass above Lake Ann).  Wow!  We'll remember this day.
author=Big Steve link=topic=25064.msg105856#msg105856 date=1339442071]
Approached via Ingalls Pass and upper Headlight Basin.  A few inches of new schmoo >6000' or so.  Funky turns up high, but fun enough and a few days of sun will cure the funkiness.  No sluffing.  Great corn below the schmoo.  Coverage still good.  We skied down to the trail <1 mile from the TH.

Randy, Anita and I saw a wolverine on the N flank of Fortune E ridge on our skin up.  No shit.  Randy watched it glissade/tumble from the ridge, near the place where we usually drop into the S bowl.  Anita and I spooked it and it ran back uphill past Randy, and then up to the ridge between Fortune and South Ingalls.  I saw its up tracks on Fortune W ridge (i.e., up from the pass above Lake Ann).  Wow!  We'll remember this day.

AMAZING!!! Although I have never seen a wolverine I have seen pictures and they are incredible creatures.

Hey Steve, this is Travis... i met you at your camp, the parking lot, and on the summit of fortune. I got to the top just as you guys were headed down and you let me look through your binos to try and find the wolverine. I wanted to let you know I DID SEE IT!!! it was running acrossed a steep snow field headed towards south ingalls peak. What a cool day, see you around

Wolverine.  Awesome.  I've seen tracks up there, and other places.  Never seen one before.

Good to hear from you, Travis.  I'll send you a PM.

Randy reported the wolverine sighting to WDFW.  We are in touch with the wolverine expert.

Awesome sighting!  Wolverines are so cool.  I'm glad you let the wildlife guys know, they'll be interested.  (I used to do wildlife surveys for the FS.)  I've only seen one in my life and it was on a ski trip too.

Cheers, David.

Hey, I was there too ya know ;)  Granted, my slow arse missed actual sighting and I only saw tracks.

Great ski tour, funky snow conditions from the ridge to bench.  Sorta opposite of "regular conditions".  Flatten the ski to slow down, carve/skid a turn to speed up, odd....

At under 5 hours car to car, that was haulin'!

B)

Yo PowderT, mind if I send this shot to WDFW? Send me a PM with your name and I can give you credit. They're after any and all pictures we took and yours is a good one.

Reply to this TR

june-10-2012-fortune-se-bowl-wolverine-sighting
Big Steve
2012-06-11 11:14:31