Home > Trip Reports > June 10, 2012, Reynolds Peak

June 10, 2012, Reynolds Peak

6/10/12
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 6/11/12 3:04am
Susan and I went East for a fun jaunt up Reynolds. More detailed TR/photos may emerge.

Skinned from and skied to 5k. Reynolds Creek trail has ~10 chainsaw-worthy blowdowns and two contemplative creek crossings, but goes easily enough. Met a party of 5 Seattleites up for a ski as we descended from the summit block. Perfect weather made for a beautiful and warm summit.

New snow accumulation ranged from 1-6" depending on drifting; nascent firnspiegel. Extensive record of shallow wet slides written in the snows, probably from Saturday; ran far for their size.  Ski cuts got the surface moving readily from 7-8k (Note to self: don't turn into your sluff. It's dumb.).

If you want to ski it this year, get it soon.
I'd add that scrambling the wet, sometimes-slimy-with-wet-lichen and sometimes-snowy class 3 summit in ski boots made things interesting/exciting at times.  But much better than May 8, 2010.  :)

The ski down was fun, but the views and sun on the summit were sublime.

For what it's worth, I found the blowdowns and overgrowth of the trail much less frustrating on the way down, perhaps because gravity was on my side and less weight on my back (I wore my boots all the way back to the car, but had carried them to 4800' on the approach).

Pictures and track at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/susanashlock/sets/72157630109562126/

Reynolds is a wrap... 
the bulger bagging pattern just occurred - looks like it took you to the right place!

Susan,  Great photos of the trip.

You guys lose a hat?  I am one of the 5 seattleites, and picked it up.

Reply to this TR

june-10-2012-reynolds-peak
Charlie Hagedorn
2012-06-11 10:04:28