Home > Trip Reports > June 10, 2012, Mt Defiance recon -fail

June 10, 2012, Mt Defiance recon -fail

6/10/12
Posted by Splitter on 6/10/12 8:41am
I've been curious how the N side of Defiance  to Spider Lake would ski.  I had a half day today and thought I would check it out.  Three miles up the trail in light cloud, I crossed the ridge to Mason lake and found snow.  The lake basin has about two feet and coverage was good from there with two short carries up the ridge to the summit of Defiance.  I had hoped to get a good look down the N side and then ski the E side to Lake Kulla Kulla.  There was a break in the clouds at Mason Lake and I could see blue above on the summit but low visibility ruined my recon plans.  I had to get home and so I bailed on the E side as well.  Five year old's birthday party trumps exploring in the fog.  The ski down the ridge was pretty sticky and not much fall line.  Joy-O-meter: maybe 1K of marginal skiing for 3.4K of climbing :(

Hordes of people coming up as I was leaving but not one had brought their skis ???

Photos:
Mason Lake
Looking down the N side of Defiance
Good job. Someone has to keep all those hikers wondering on trails that don't typically see skis.

Reply to this TR

june-10-2012-mt-defiance-recon-fail
Splitter
2012-06-10 15:41:31