Home > Trip Reports > June 3, 2012, Tatoosh, MRNP

June 3, 2012, Tatoosh, MRNP

6/3/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by WhiteyWhite on 6/7/12 11:27am
Headed to the Tatoosh range early Sunday morning. Left Olympia around 6am and had the skis on by 8am. Now that the road is open, we were able to park alot closer!

Headed up towards the saddle east of Castle Peak. Chilled there for a second and figured out our plan. We decided to ski the back of the Castle (not from the summit) down about 1000 feet. We could have skied further, but the trees got tighter and the snow hadn't softened up enough yet to be corn, so we stopped and put the skins back on.

From there we headed up Foss peak and drank a beer at the summit. Waited for the snow to soften, which it did, and skied down to the road. At first we thought we were skiing Rainbow Chutes, but after a little investigation, we learned that we didn't. So they are now dubbed 'Boon's Chutes'! Had a fabulous run down to the road. The terrain was open and lots of fun rollers to ski/jump. This was my first time skiing on tech fit bindings (la sportiva), so at first I was a little freaked out to really push it. And, I accidentally caught a pretty good amount of air and they stayed on.  I did however keep them in lock mode the whole time!

All in all a really fun tour. This was my first time skiing the Tatoosh, and the whole time I was asking myself why I don't ski there more?!
Nice TR, Whitey,
That was our trio parked behind you on your return and arriving back to the car shortly after you guys.
That run down from Foss is a sweet one. It's good to see you Oly folks up getting up to get the Tatoosh goods.
Thanks for the report.

Reply to this TR

june-3-2012-tatoosh-mrnp
WhiteyWhite
2012-06-07 18:27:30