Home > Trip Reports > June 2-4, Mt. Conness area

June 2-4, Mt. Conness area

6/15/12
Posted by kam on 6/6/12 3:24pm
Andrew, Henry and I wandered around for a few days around Mt. Conness, then skied the Conness Glacier on the north side of the mountain.  Apparently, Tioga pass road had been open for about three weeks now (where was I???), and when we arrived on Saturday afternoon the road to Saddle Bag lake had just opened.  So instead of walking that 2-mile stretch from the gate to the lake in dress shoes (Silas Wild style), we were blessed with what Ron J likes to call, the rubber-tire traverse.  I did not complain one bit!

We left the car at the crack of 6 pm late Saturday 'morning' from the parking area at the lake.  There was very little snow to slow us down in our tennis shoes and a few hours later we found a nice camp site below the Conness lakes.  Henry packed his food in one of those fancy ultralight carbon fiber bear canisters.  I packed mine in an ultralight plastic grocery bag and after dinner I spent about 30 minutes in the dark trying to find a decent tree to hang my bag of food with a whippet and a shoe string.  In the end I came home with extra food.

On Sunday we wandered above the Conness lakes, then found a scenic high camp near the Conness Glacier.  We skied the small glacier and found great corn.  Unfortunately, the snow is melting fast, but if you're willing to walk a little, there is still plenty of low hanging fruit to be had, even come August and September..... :)!

Photos:

Andrew at camp with North Peak in the background

Kam and Mt. Conness

Andrew skis the glacier while Henry waits his turn.

View from our hotel room.

wow, looks gorgeous!  nice pics...

Is this close to home?

Good choice of activity.  When I'm in there I can never decide if I want  more to ski or to climb.

author=cumulus link=topic=25028.msg105740#msg105740 date=1339056988]
Is this close to home?

Mt. Conness is in Yosemite National Park in CA, just east of Tioga Pass.  Same continent, but not exactly a weekend trip.
(Couldn't be up here; look at that bluebird sky!  ::) )

thanks, had no delusions about it being just on the other side of Snoqualmie  :) - I meant close to Kam's home; Silas filled me in, that'd be Reno

Nice! Looks very fun. Glad to see that new KWilds are in the wild!

Reply to this TR

june-2-4-mt-conness-area
kam
2012-06-06 22:24:04