Home > Trip Reports > March 13, 2005, 911 MRNP

March 13, 2005, 911 MRNP

3/13/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JW on 3/14/05 7:33am
As Ron, Jeanette and I talked over a Tall Timbers breakfast , we conjured up visions of fresh corn snow 8)
We were quite sure we knew where to find the goods! Why where else but the East side of Pan Point and a run we call Ice Scraper. It was obviously basking in the morning sun and developing that perfect cream of corn consistency we craved!

At the Paradise lot we were joined by Maureen (sporting randonee gear),Darryl and Doug(Jibber D). We were all amazed by the melting that occurred last week >:( We also noticed a slight breeze out of the north east 8) Skinned up thru Edith basin and then loaded up and scratched and clawed our way up the waterfall chute. Jeanette and I decide to stick to a snowy spine rather than fight the loose rocks the others were climbing. Several times all we could do was lie down and take the pelting of ice pellets from gusts probably around 330 mph  8)  By the time we were on the ridge above Golden Gate, it was clear that our dreams of perfect corn were not to be, all remained frozen from a serious wind chill.  It was now that the group decided Ron's suggestion to head East toward Mazama was indeed a good call. Also here during a short carry, Darryl's skis were ripped off his shoulder and landed about 30 ft away in a stream :)

When we got over on the north ridge of Mazama Bowl we were perplexed to find usual drops into 911 melted out and requiring about a 30 ft downclimb over loose scree to access the goods!   So Ron,J-net, Darryl and Maureen continued East to Steven's Notch, while Jibber and I doubled back and found a connecting finger which dropped us into 911. As soon as we dropped over the edge the wind stopped and the snow was perfect. About 1" of corn over a firm base 8) We all enjoyed several runs on this fabulous find!   Great day you guy's!  I will post the video proof soon so check back! ----Jerry
Stuff on the east side of Pan Point improved as the day progressed - we were on the late shift which seemed to work well. We almost headed down to where I think you guys were (bowl on east side of Mazama ridge that you get to first if heading up/over from the road) for some variety, but we decided to "ski here now." Instead of doing the rock scramble up over Golden Gate (again, I think I know where you mean...), we went for a traverse on the snow sliver still clinging to the summer trail, and managed to keep skis on as we wrapped around onto the ridge. I think yesterday may have been the last day where that was possible. I can see how skis could have flown thirty feet yesterday morning...

Wild winds and rock-hard crust followed by a balmy Mazama Bowl and corn snow made for an interesting day in a bizarre weather year.

Jerry of the Jungle...watch out for that scree (obscure reference to an obscure 70's era cartoon):

The wind must have affected us, since we all chose to ski that rather challenging line next to "the mazama castle."  More impressive was the fact that Ron, Jeanette and Maureen skinned up that last section.  So Ron, what makes you think you can skin up those angles?  That was the steepest skin track I've yet seen.

Thank you all for a very enjoyable day.

Very nice trip report, Jerman.

Jim, you're the man; broke the code to the goods by sleeping in.  Smooth move.

...More impressive was the fact that Ron, Jeanette and Maureen skinned up that last section.  So Ron, what makes you think you can skin up those angles?  That was the steepest skin track I've yet seen...
Doug, that was simply an example of being too old, lazy and stubborn to take the time to load up.

Mark from Bellingham is my inspiration! He frequently speaks of being part of the late crew.

Several times all we could do was lie down and take the pelting of ice pellets from gusts probably around 330 mph  8)  

Good thing I left my red sparkled shoes at home, I thought if I clicked my heels together one more time I was going to end up in Kansas at Auntie Em's house with Dorothy and Toto.  ;D

Also here during a short carry, Darryl's skis were ripped off his shoulder and landed about 30 ft away in a stream :)

That in itself was worth the price of admission  :D  Glad nothing was broken or lost.  

All joking aside here are some photo's of our fun.  8)

http://groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/paradise31305.msnw

Here is another groovy movie ----- Call to 911  Sorry Darryl,I had to include your spectacular fall (it went well with the music) and thanks to Jibber for taking the camera for a few shots.  

Great video, Jerry.
I don't know how you crank them things out so fast, yet still keep them so entertaining.
And Darryl, nice job getting the feet downhill and getting stopped.

Very fun video Jer,  ;D thanks for the smiles this morning.  8)

Jerry - GREAT movie.  I did NOT fall.  I'm inventing a new way to slide on variable snow conditions which will PREVENT me from falling.  There is no such thing as BAD snow, only bad skiers.  

To keep up with Maureen, I'm going to have to improve my ski abilities.

I did NOT fall.  I'm inventing a new way to slide on variable snow conditions which will PREVENT me from falling..........

Ok, so Darryl, what new trick was that off the shoulder ski fly down to the river deal then??   ;)  ;D

Good stuff here Jerry.  

More cow bell is all I'd add.  Always, MORE COW BELL...

I especially like the way Darryl shakes it off after his recovery...some cow bell at that shake would be oscar material.

Hey, maybe your prediction last weekend of 24" of new snow at Paradise in March isn't so crazy after all.  The cow bell is a-clangin' on that call!

OK, I'll stop now...  But only after I blame all the cow bell nonsense on sleep deprivation.

Ok, so Darryl, what new trick was that off the shoulder ski fly down to the river deal then??   ;)  ;D

Ya, I'm inventing that too!  It is the wind-carried ski lift.  Just like we use gravity to PULL us down hill, I'm inventing a technique to use the wind to carry my skis uphill.  I think I almost have it invented.

The shake after my fall is to test if everything is still connected.  I thought maybe something got pulled off.

Reply to this TR

march-13-2005-911-mrnp
JW
2005-03-14 15:33:52